Acclimate that Invert!

Do you acclimate your invert tank additions?

• Yes, always

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Rarely

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Never

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

gdwats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire-Cleaner-Shrimp.jpg

After acquiring a new invertebrate, and with all things being within the acceptable parameters of a saltwater reef aquarium, many people are at a loss as to why they sometimes will loose a new acquired crustacean or other invertebrate shortly after buying it and introducing it to it’s new home. The number one thing I don’t hear enough from sellers of inverts, is that invertebrates are quite sensitive to changes in salinity (as well as other factors), and need “drip-acclimation†more so than most of our marine inhabitants.

Slowly add your tank water drop-wise into the bag with the new critter in it, while floating the bag in your tank or sump, to equalize the temperature as well. After sufficient water addition and mixing, allow the critter to exit the bag, or coax it (whatever it takes to get him out) leaving the store's water in the bag, and dumping it out. Be sure to do this one thing, and you will have much better luck with the survival of your newly purchased inverts. Seriously, “drop†a fire shrimp into most any saltwater reef aquarium, and it will “probably dieâ€. Drip acclimate that same shrimp(before dead), and it will “probably liveâ€. I hope this saves the lives of a few shrimp out there!

Happy Reefing!
Greg Watkins (gdwats)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 134 76.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back