Acclimating from 7 dKh to 9 dKh

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2023
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,785
Location
North Andover
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all!

My tank parameters are:

Alkalinity: 9.1 dKh (Trident)
Calcium: 455 (Trident)
Magnesium: 1387 (Trident)
pH: 7.84-7.99 (Trident)
Temperature: 79-80 F (Trident and separate probe)
Phosphate: 0.03-0.06 (Hannah)
Nitrate: 4-6 (Hannah)

My question: I am receiving some SPS frags today (mini colonies so larger) and they’ve been kept at an alkalinity of 7. I normally buy frags that have been kept between 8-9 and haven’t had any problems in that range but I am worried about such a large dKh shift for these animals and want to do my best for them. I don’t really think trying to acclimate over 3 days is feasible. What else short of that can I do?

Thanks for any wisdom you might be able to offer and any thoughts in general!
 
I try to get mine on the rack after a dip as soon as possible then leave them alone and I keep my tanks around 11kh. I’m usually more concerned with light acclimation than alk. From shipping they are already going to be ***** so I’m in camp “deal with it”.
 
I try to get mine on the rack after a dip as soon as possible then leave them alone and I keep my tanks around 11kh. I’m usually more concerned with light acclimation than alk. From shipping they are already going to be ***** so I’m in camp “deal with it”.
That’s fair; mine normally go to the rack quickly as well and kept at around 100-150 par for a few days and then slowly moved up in the tank. That’s been working out well for me. I bleached a lot of frags trying to place directly in their final location in the DT but have finally learned that lesson! Thanks for the response!
 
You can just do it. If they don't make it, it will not be from this, IMO. I have never found these type of things to matter at all when getting frags. Constant and persistent alk swings over a longer period of time are more of an issue, IMO.
 
You can just do it. If they don't make it, it will not be from this, IMO. I have never found these type of things to matter at all when getting frags. Constant and persistent alk swings over a longer period of time are more of an issue, IMO.
Makes sense. Thanks for the response!
 
Don’t lower your dKH. Keep it higher to stabilize pH at 8.3-8.4. Minimize acidification in your tank with beneficial bacteria (Microbacter), blow detritus off of rocks and gravel vac your sand bed. Make sure your skimmer is working properly and use carbon.
 
Don’t lower your dKH. Keep it higher to stabilize pH at 8.3-8.4. Minimize acidification in your tank with beneficial bacteria (Microbacter), blow detritus off of rocks and gravel vac your sand bed. Make sure your skimmer is working properly and use carbon.
I didn’t and definitely wasn’t trying to. I like it at 9. Works well for my system. The mini colonies did great without going through crazy acclimation!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new