acclimating new tank to lighting

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i've had my tank for about 3 months with no lights and just fish. i plan to add lighting next month for introducing coralline algae. lighting will be five 48 inch quanta pro led bars 8 inches over my bare bottom 48x24x24 120 gallon tank. sump has chaeto growing currently. its all dry rock and i plan to live reef rubble from aquabiomics to speed up the beneficial bacteria process when its in stock.

first question is how do i go about ramping up the lighting in my new tank to avoid dinos etc? my original plan was to run 1 bar for 8 hours and add 1 bar every month. is this too fast?

second question is how much lighting is necessary in the introduction of coralline algae? will one bar with 8 hours be enough?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just ramp up the light over 2 weeks - mainly for the fish to adjust to. Without knowing output (etc.) I couldn't tell you how much to ramp up your lights - other than a PAR meter will be helpful if you plan to add corals, etc.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just ramp up the light over 2 weeks - mainly for the fish to adjust to. Without knowing output (etc.) I couldn't tell you how much to ramp up your lights - other than a PAR meter will be helpful if you plan to add corals, etc.
I think with 5 bars it can get up to 500 par from tests I’ve seen people do with the exact same setup

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with 5 bars it can get up to 500 par from tests I’ve seen people do with the exact same setup
The clarity of the water can even influence PAR. If it's just for fish you don't need a lot other than whatever looks nice aesthetically. For corals, anywhere from 100-250 PAR for mixed reefs is the range where most try and keep their corals (with some SPS needing more).

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clarity of the water can even influence PAR. If it's just for fish you don't need a lot other than whatever looks nice aesthetically. For corals, anywhere from 100-250 PAR for mixed reefs is the range where most try and keep their corals (with some SPS needing more).
It will be sps only

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back