Acclimation Box help please

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got in today a purple firefish, yellow watchman goby and melanurus wrasse. They were shipped from a full QT vendor, so I put them right in acclimation boxes in my DT after temp floating. The firefish and goby are in separate clear plastic ones. The wrasse is in a white mesh one. All tank lights are off.

All three seem to be doing ok. Wrasse is going back and forth (not sure if normal or stressed behavior?). The firefish and goby are just chilling laying on the bottom of their boxes.

How long do you think I should keep them in there? Should I put a tiny bit of sand in with the wrasse to help it get comfortable?

I planned to release them tomorrow evening at lights out if the blenny wasn't showing interest. Should I have the lights go on normal schedule tomorrow and just shield their boxes? Or should I turn the lights off all day tomorrow too?

Current inhabitants are 2 perc clowns, a royal gramma, a lawnmower blenny and a bangaii cardinal. The only one I'm slightly worried about having some aggression is the blenny. He's fine with all the other current fish but he was also the last one added. The goby and firefish are also quite little.

Help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know your current inhabitants, and their propensity to be aggressive, better than any of us.

I too use an acclimation box ..... but only when I think it's necessary to make sure I won't have a clash (ex: about to introduce gem to a tank with a yellow tang). I don't use it when unnecessary as I think it can stress out the fish more to be in it.

In your case, I probably would have skipped it. Watchman and Wrasse are expert hiders and it sounds like your tank is pretty tame. But once again, you know your tank better than us so you have to make the judgement based on what you see.

OP
OP
C

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know your current inhabitants, and their propensity to be aggressive, better than any of us.

I too use an acclimation box ..... but only when I think it's necessary to make sure I won't have a clash (ex: about to introduce gem to a tank with a yellow tang). I don't use it when unnecessary as I think it can stress out the fish more to be in it.

In your case, I probably would have skipped it. Watchman and Wrasse are expert hiders and it sounds like your tank is pretty tame. But once again, you know your tank better than us so you have to make the judgement based on what you see.
Thank you for the help! So you think I should go ahead and release them tonight? I just know my blenny is a little spunky, but he's never actually shown aggression to any other tankmate.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not currently no. I read on multiple other forums that he will be ok for a night or two without sand.
Maybe, but that would be why he's pacing. He's stressed and wants to hide in the sand. Personally, I would release the wrasse at the very least. He'll be much happier spending the night buried.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got in today a purple firefish, yellow watchman goby and melanurus wrasse. They were shipped from a full QT vendor, so I put them right in acclimation boxes in my DT after temp floating. The firefish and goby are in separate clear plastic ones. The wrasse is in a white mesh one. All tank lights are off.

All three seem to be doing ok. Wrasse is going back and forth (not sure if normal or stressed behavior?). The firefish and goby are just chilling laying on the bottom of their boxes.

How long do you think I should keep them in there? Should I put a tiny bit of sand in with the wrasse to help it get comfortable?

I planned to release them tomorrow evening at lights out if the blenny wasn't showing interest. Should I have the lights go on normal schedule tomorrow and just shield their boxes? Or should I turn the lights off all day tomorrow too?

Current inhabitants are 2 perc clowns, a royal gramma, a lawnmower blenny and a bangaii cardinal. The only one I'm slightly worried about having some aggression is the blenny. He's fine with all the other current fish but he was also the last one added. The goby and firefish are also quite little.

Help is much appreciated! Thank you!
No quarantine even though quarantined?
The wrasse up and about is typical as it likes to cruise and dive into bedding. I know often with an acclimation box, its impossible to keep sand. Behavior should change once released

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ship has sailed. They're already in the tank.
I realize that but many have paid the price realizing later they should have done short term quarantine. Often ammonia builds up in shipping bags and one should assume they have something upon arrival and do an observation at minimum to alleviate any surprise breakouts.
These cases are often less than more but the word is Risk

OP
OP
C

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that but many have paid the price realizing later they should have done short term quarantine. Often ammonia builds up in shipping bags and one should assume they have something upon arrival and do an observation at minimum to alleviate any surprise breakouts.
These cases are often less than more but the word is Risk
Thanks for the care and worry. I got them from someone who does a full on QT and then observation per Jay/Humblefish directions so I am confident that they are not coming in with anything.

I went ahead and released all three a little while ago. Wrasse dove right in. Goby is hiding but I saw the firefish a little bit after he went in.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I will keep all your tips for the next batch I get.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back