Acclimation box question

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
10,630
Reaction score
10,988
Location
Phoenix, AZ
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, does it work in reverse? That question probably makes no sense, so here's the (short) story:

I bought the trio of Timor wrasses which came up on DD last week, for those who saw them. I have three Cirrhilabrus wrasses (Flame, Rhomboid, Lineatus) in my tank and two Halichoeres wrasses (Melanurus, Canary). Timor wrasses, for those that missed it or have never seem them:
lg-0511111-433t.jpg


Well, perhaps it was a bad decision, but I elected not to put these guys into the acclimation box upon transfer to the DT as I conjectured I'd do more harm than good to the new guys, putting Halichoeres wrasses in a confined space without a sand bed to hide in. I figured I'd probably stress them to death. Well, none of my existing fish acted hostile towards them, with the exception of the Canary wrasse. He was out for the kill. So I captured him quickly and put him into the acclimation box, not knowing what else to do. I put in a small cup of sand for him to hide in, if need be (hindsight: probably what I should have done with the new guys, but alas). So he's been in the box for a couple days now, and has calmed down. The new male Timor wrasse has approached him, and the Canary has not acted aggressively. (sidenote: one of the female Timor wrasses didn't make it, succumbed to stress it seems. The other began appearing yesterday. The male has been out for the last 2 days.)

Will the box work for re-introduction of the Canary, or should I rid myself from him? I kinda hate to just give him up, but I don't want to risk the well-being of the new pair. I realize it's all about territory, so the real question here is will the Canary be "reset" by this isolation, or have I just delayed the aggression?
 
I would think it would work. Keep him in there for a few more days and if you can, move some of your rock work around, rearrange a few things , so the canary will feel like he is the new guy.
 
Yeah, I wasn't planning on making a decision before tomorrow at least. Thanks for the input. Moving any rocks around isn't really a viable option in my coral-packed tank.

As bad as it sounds, unless I can be convinced it has a really good chance of working, I'd prefer to give up a common canary wrasse than risk a pair of wrasses not commonly seen in the trade.
 
I agree with Brad. Moving some rock is a good idea if you can manage. What family is the Timor wrasses in? Very cool fish.
 
Timor is a Halichoeres as well; guess I failed to mention that. As I said, moving rocks isn't a viable option unfortunately.

Thanks for the input and complement. :)
 
It's really nice to be getting some positive feedback on this idea...

So what would be the consensus for when I should attempt a release? He's been in for 3 days now.
 
I was able to catch him in about 15 seconds, but I don't know how much luck was involved in that. I wouldn't place my money on it being quite so repeatable.
 
It's a 5' 125.

However, this is now a moot topic.

4 days was 1 day too long. He was laying dead on the bottom of the box when I got home last night. :(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new