Acclimation of a shipped coral

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im thinking of buying some coral from wwc and am wondering how im supposed to acclimate, am I supposed to just do it like normal or is there something special i have to do? Cause ive heard with fish that amonia can build up in the bag and becomes toxic when it touches air. Is it the same with coral? #reefsquad

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just toss the bag in the sump, and let the temp acclimate 20 minutes. Open bag and place down in the bottom of the tank to acclimate to the light for a week or two.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float to temp match for 20-30min. Dip in whatever coral dip you use, clean tank water dip to remove any of the excess coral dip and into the tank on the frag rack. You really should dip absolutely everything you put into the tank IMO. Even better if you have a QT tank you would place it in there for a few weeks to be sure there is no nasty bugs etc attached.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im thinking of buying some coral from wwc and am wondering how im supposed to acclimate, am I supposed to just do it like normal or is there something special i have to do? Cause ive heard with fish that amonia can build up in the bag and becomes toxic when it touches air. Is it the same with coral? #reefsquad

Ammonia builds up because of fish waste. This is why fish typically aren't fed a few days before shipped. Corals aren't going to be producing waste in the same way.

QT of the coral first, then dipping later is ideal, but if it's going straight into display I'd dip it first. Just because the coral can already be stressed from transit.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do as well build up ammonia during shipping...I don't drip anything that's shipped I temp acclimate dip with tank water rinse and in they go.

Som1else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give a 5-10 min temp acclimation and put them in your tank. If you do need to dip, a weak solution of bayer and some swishing with a quick rinse and then onto your rack. Dont drip acclimate or anything like that, they just need gentle flow and O2 after the long trip

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you temp acclimate under lights in display? Thats what I always do. Sometime for hours. I may not I usally have big orders and takes a while and sometime I may have to do quick watar changes too incase I didnt get to it day before. This is for corals not fish. Putting them in display under lights allows the corals to open. Am i doing this wrong?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Floating under the display lights is non-ideal, as that's very close to the light. If the bags sink to the bottom, that's fine.

Personally, if I have corals that have too much air in the bag to sink and won't be able to get to them for awhile, I place them in very indirect window sunlight. Then they can open up a bit and do a little photosynthesis. Normally it's only for a couple hours, but I had to do that for three days recently (long story short, had nowhere to safely put them), and the only thing that died or even majorly suffered was a chalice that already looked pretty bad in the bag.
(Granted, it was mostly zoas and acans, with two chalices including the one that melted. I don't know what SPS would think of that. The other chalice is fine, though!)

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That never occurred to me! I'll try that if needed!

Once I had an order delayed for 2 days maybe three and only a mushroom died! It was a big order mostly zoas as well. I remember having a watermelon chalice that made it but unfortunately I don't think I have any of them now! Thata a very long story an wont bore you with the details!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back