Acclimating new CUC

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have had my tank set up for almost 4 mon now, I just turned lights on yesterday. So I ordered a CUC from Reel Cleaners, and am wondering what others thoughts are for acclimation. I have never drip acclimated anything before, so not sure how to go about it, but I have heard that it is by far the best way to do a CUC. Any and all recommendations welcome. Thanks in advance for any advice.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all CUC acclimate the same way. Each species is different. If they ship things dry, then you can just temp acclimate and drop them in. Shrimp need slowly acclimated. The rest, I just do temp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, I have had my tank set up for almost 4 mon now, I just turned lights on yesterday. So I ordered a CUC from Reel Cleaners, and am wondering what others thoughts are for acclimation. I have never drip acclimated anything before, so not sure how to go about it, but I have heard that it is by far the best way to do a CUC. Any and all recommendations welcome. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I would use their recommended method - which they spell out when you order.

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a link to - Reef cleaners acclimation policy. but in a nutshell DO NOT DRIP ACCLIMATE

during the shipping process, ammonia levels in the shipping bags build, while the pH level goes down. As the ph goes down the toxicity of ammonia also goes down. However, when your tank water with normal pH is introduced to the shipping bags or they are exposed to fresh air the pH rises, so does the toxicity of the ammonia, and you will be poisoning the livestock. Please don't do this“

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. You should follow the vendor’s recommendations.

Having said that, shrimp and sea stars typically require a slower acclimation. That’s where the drip method helps. Snails and crabs should be fine if you can match temp and salinity.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that reef cleaners gives instructions for the 'things' they send to you. Compared to fish, a shrimp or small star likely does not build up m much ammonia (depending on the water amount and the transport time). The snails, however are shipped in an extremely small amount of water.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a link to - Reef cleaners acclimation policy. but in a nutshell DO NOT DRIP ACCLIMATE

during the shipping process, ammonia levels in the shipping bags build, while the pH level goes down. As the ph goes down the toxicity of ammonia also goes down. However, when your tank water with normal pH is introduced to the shipping bags or they are exposed to fresh air the pH rises, so does the toxicity of the ammonia, and you will be poisoning the livestock. Please don't do this“
I have definitely heard this about fish, and therefore I NEVER drip acclimate fish. But I have heard that it IS NECESSARY for inverts as they are much more sensitive. Also heard the ammonia is not an issue for inverts.maybe someone with better knowledge than me will chime in.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that reef cleaners gives instructions for the 'things' they send to you. Compared to fish, a shrimp or small star likely does not build up m much ammonia (depending on the water amount and the transport time). The snails, however are shipped in an extremely small amount of water.
Perfect, thank you. I have never ordered from them before so I did not know this.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably not the best advice but TBH I usually just chuck in the. nerites, also the Turbos unless they are cold…

But as mentioned I exercise more care and drip (sorta) in the shrimp, stars and urchins

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back