Acclimitisation

Shilpan Patel

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2018
Messages
293
Reaction score
92
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say I’m transferring a fish from QT to DT. And the temperature and salinity match. But the QT has copper.

Usually I don’t acclimate I just transfer over. How does a FW dip affect this?

If I remove fish from QT, FW dip it, and then put in DT is that ok? Or do fish need to be re-acclimated after a FW dip?

(Edit it’s actually going into a sterile observation tank, not my DT but writing DT was shorter)
 
Adds stress. Are you trying to rinse off the QT copper, remove parasites, or what is the purpose of the FW dip if they are coming out (clean) from the QT into the DT?

(So your FW dip is a prophylactic before observation. Make sure the pH of the FW dip is the same as observation tank then.)
 
Last edited:
I’m trying to mainly screen for external parasites. I was told I could see them fall off if they are there. The dragonnet and sleeper goby have been fit and well in QT though. No disease signs.

Secondly I also thought it’d help rinse the copper.
 
Don't worry about residual copper. It will be an insignificant amount from transferring a fish.

Did you only use copper or did you treat for worms too?
 
Only copper so far. The dragonnet and goby need to be in there for another day or two before they finish their 10 days and can be transferred to a sterile QT.

I was gonna FW dip for flukes, and if I didn’t see anything I wouldn’t treat with Prazipro.
What I’ve found out is that worms tend to be picked up in the minimum 1 month quarantine period in NZ customs for all livestock. What tends to happen is ich gets through occaisionally but mostly is also in the LFS so usually I need to prophylactically treat for that.

And also, prazipro can be used safely in a reef tank eh??

Oh ok thank you! No need to worry about residual copper then :) and anyway it’s only going into my sterile observation bucket.


(P.S the dragonnet started eating adult brine shrimp! This is unrelated but I am just quite excited about it haha...)
 
Internal worms can be acquired at anytime in their life, and are especially prevelant in bottom dwelling fish, and internal parasites won't show up in a fw dip.
 
Thank you for the advice
By the way day 10 and still eating fine in copper.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new