Acoel flatworms ID confirmation

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

So... I didn't dip a coral for the first time ever because I thought I was out of dip. I'll freshwater dip before I do that again...

These guys showed up the next day on the mushroom frag I bought. I found some Revive I didn’t know I had and dipped them.

They were very unhappy and squirmed and shriveled up making closeups impossible. I think they might be Aceols, but I thought I'd make sure.

Thanks in advance!

20231210_152140.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Acoel flatworms - probably a Waminoa species:
Looks like it may be a Waminoa sp. - they are known to feed on the coral mucus rather than the coral itself of corals in the family Euphylliidae, as well as mushroom corals. Theoretically, in large numbers these guys could cause problems for corals like stated in the quote* below:
"Apparently, acoels can harm corals by smothering them, which may hinder their respiration, feeding and sediment shedding capacities."

*The link the quote was taken from:
The only confirmed effective method of removal that I'm aware of is a repeated dip and cleaning method (pull any infected corals from the tank, dip them, scrape off any worms/eggs that stay on through the dip, repeat as needed). It may be more effective if you can to dip, scrape, and then put the corals in a different, uninfected tank to wait out the starvation of any eggs/worms in the infected tank, but this may not be possible. The link below has some other ideas you can explore if you'd prefer, but I have no idea if they're effective or not:
Edit: Also, here's a link that shows some more known host corals (I would assume these will host on just about any coral they can get too to be honest).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back