Euphyllia Eating Flatworms

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Yesterday I noticed two flatworms on my new torch coral. The torch was one of two new ones that I got last Friday. I dipped all my euphyllia in iodine and brushed the skeletons, and in the end only found the two flatworms. What should I do from this point? Is it safe to assume I caught it early, or could they have already laid eggs? I’ll likely do repeated dips over the next few days to make sure, but other than that, is there any protocol to getting rid of these worms?
IMG_1210.jpeg
IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_1219.jpeg

SocalReefer760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom pic looks like euphyllia eating flatworms. Dealt with them before. I would just stay consistent dipping them with coralRX. A wrasse will help as well.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyclads…will damage your euphyllia and spread to any others you have in close proximity to the affected one… I typically dip in a mix of this…
IMG_6108.jpeg

In a gallon of tank water mix just enough to turn the water a little hazy, think I use somewhere between 5 & 10 ml/gallon, leave in the mix for about 5-7 minutes, scrub the base lightly with a soft brush, Followed by a fresh sw rinse and I usually do an additional dip with these followed by a fresh sw dip after each…
IMG_6109.jpeg
IMG_6110.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to do a coris wrasse, but both attempts they didn’t make it past quarantine without getting uronema. Are Melanurus wrasses more hardy or about the same?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to do a coris wrasse, but both attempts they didn’t make it past quarantine without getting uronema. Are Melanurus wrasses more hardy or about the same?
Yes but more likely to go after inverts

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find ycw to be fairly hardy. Maybe the source you getting it from.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find ycw to be fairly hardy. Maybe the source you getting it from.
My first one was a Halichoeres leucoxanthus, which didn’t arrive in good condition (possibly uronema, more likely shipping stress), and my second was a Halichoeres chrysus, which seemed healthy at the store but quickly went downhill when in quarantine. Perhaps I’ll have to try a third time—perhaps from Dr. Reef.

I used to have a springer’s damsel before a tank crash and was considering getting another. Are they as effective with flatworms?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a sixline is perfect for a 40b. They can be hit or miss but I think it's more the individual rather than the tank size. Just a heads up that with flatworms a quick fresh water dip is just as effective and less stressful on the euphyllia. Not to mention close to free.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyclads…will damage your euphyllia and spread to any others you have in close proximity to the affected one… I typically dip in a mix of this…
IMG_6108.jpeg

In a gallon of tank water mix just enough to turn the water a little hazy, think I use somewhere between 5 & 10 ml/gallon, leave in the mix for about 5-7 minutes, scrub the base lightly with a soft brush, Followed by a fresh sw rinse and I usually do an additional dip with these followed by a fresh sw dip after each…
IMG_6109.jpeg
IMG_6110.jpeg
This is the best advice...

pleasure2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6108.jpeg

IMG_6109.jpeg
IMG_6110.jpeg
I am not sure but I think this BAYER product is the wrong one. You want the Bayer tree and shrub with imidacloprid. See this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-formulations.1045943/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back