Acro and Monti ID Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter KLR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
53
Location
Williamston,NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching both of these pieces "bake" at my lfs for about 4 months. They both grow very slow.
Today they looked big enough to buy, so I pulled the trigger.

I was wondering if this acro's sp. can be id'ed. I know it is a frag, so it is more difficult to id, but its worth a shot.

Blue LEDs only
IMG_8539-2.jpg

IMG_8539-2.jpg



Second is this interesting montipora. It has a faint purple rim, pastel blue/green body, and neon green polyps. Does this one have a name?

*Note the purple is not that purple on the montipora, I can never get spot on color representative pictures of my corals under the 120w LED Evo.

Daylight
IMG_85327-2-2.jpg


Blue LEDs only
IMG_85367-2.jpg





TIA
 
Last edited:
IDK but that's a sick monti pickup haven't seen one like that before. i think the 1st sps is a caroliniata
 
Thanks and neither have I, it is kinda like undata but bright green polyps and that is what I was leaning towards,but I don't know alot about acroporas, haha.
 
That Monti is awesome. I have not seen one like that either. It almost looks fleshy like a LPS....
 
Thanks, its texture is quite different than the usual montipora, to bad it grows REALLY slow. But I guess that will make it more rewarding in time.
 
hmmmmm....i guess the time for trading will be right in about a month or so......:angel:
 
Hahah, it is the size of a quarter with a little dime size piece attached to it. My colony is a total of about 3/4 in. in diameter.
 
woah! ok make that 6 months from now! i think you have something very unique there brutha. the color off the front polyp is bleeding into the tissue!
 
woah! ok make that 6 months from now! i think you have something very unique there brutha. the color off the front polyp is bleeding into the tissue!

Yea that sounds more like it, and I saw that aswell I am not sure why that happens but I hope it stays!


It looks similar to a turbinara.

It could be, it is kinda hard to say atm. It is really small.
 
judging by the no raised coralites and the size of the polyps (the coral is the size of a quarter) this isn't a tubinaria.
 
Not sure on the monti, but it's certainly a nice one. The acro looks like an Acropora caroliniana, but might be a lokani or granulosa
 
Thanks and ok, I guess I will have to wait for it to grow out before it can be accurately id'ed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new