Acro feeding or defense response after adding UV?

AcroBrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I started to have a small dino outbreak last week and had a small amount of dinos starting to grow on the tip of one of my Green Slimer Acros, so I took some action and bought a UV sterilizer to help the dinos not get out of control. The sterilizer came in yesterday morning and I installed it immediately, so it has been running about 24 hours. When I got up this morning I noticed that every one of the acropora had their feeders out like the one I am posting pictures of below. I can add pictures of the others as well, but this Pink Highlighter is definitely the most noticeable and easiest to get a picture of. My question is, is there a way to tell if this is a feeding response or a defense response? I am seeing PE and color, so part of me thinks this is just feeding, but I haven't added any food to the tank yet today and even when I do feed,I never see a feeding response this strong. Could the UV be killing bacteria that the acros are just eating up? Nothing in the tank has changed other than adding the UV

Highlighterfeeders1.jpg
Highlighterfeeders2.jpg

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run my UV 24\7 and have not seen any weird reactions from any of my Acros. PE is always good on some and always mediocre on others.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back