Acro ID need help

Curiousbranching

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these acros for a while but don't know their commercial/scientific names. Can someone help me please?

_DSC5034.jpeg
_DSC5018.jpeg
_DSC5022.jpeg
_DSC5040.jpeg
_DSC5048.jpeg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like acropora tenuis to me. First one could be a tort.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come with many different color morph, but I don't know what their trade name
_DSC4647.jpeg
Understood. Often several names… and just as often “no name”. It is difficult to tell but I would say the color form of the blue with yellow polyps looks like a SC Orange Passion. The yellow with red polyps could be a Pink Floyd or a Pink Lemonade. Green ones could have any number of trade names. The first pic has the color of a CA tort but if its a tenuis then that isn’t it.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Understood. Often several names… and just as often “no name”. It is difficult to tell but I would say the color form of the blue with yellow polyps looks like a SC Orange Passion. The yellow with red polyps could be a Pink Floyd or a Pink Lemonade. Green ones could have any number of trade names. The first pic has the color of a CA tort but if its a tenuis then that isn’t it.
Yellow with red is exactly as you called it. Trade name changes, it is a microclades though. I kind of thought the first might be a tort, but the corralites are different shape.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looking at the first one again, I'm thinking Miyagi Tort, so acropora tortusa.

The two things to look at when trying to ID acros is growth pattern and corallites shape/density/size.

And for the candlelight acro, I don't know what it is classified as, but I only ever see it with that name. It is always a shade of green and very fuzzy. They have a shape that is almost like a speciosa, but more polyps/corallites per branch and they have bigger polyps.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the first one. What made me back away from calling it a tort is that mine grows more like a staghorn but that could be explained by flow. IMHO Miyagi & CA tort are interchangeable but agree on Miyagi.

OP
OP
Curiousbranching

Curiousbranching

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the first one again, I'm thinking Miyagi Tort, so acropora tortusa.

The two things to look at when trying to ID acros is growth pattern and corallites shape/density/size.

And for the candlelight acro, I don't know what it is classified as, but I only ever see it with that name. It is always a shade of green and very fuzzy. They have a shape that is almost like a speciosa, but more polyps/corallites per branch and they have bigger polyps.
Agree on the first one. What made me back away from calling it a tort is that mine grows more like a staghorn but that could be explained by flow. IMHO Miyagi & CA tort are interchangeable but agree on Miyagi.
Thank you for your enthusiastic guidance. It's great that the community has people like you

This is white light picture of the first one. It appears it is not Tortuosa maybe
_DSC4820.jpeg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m back to a tort :) really beautiful colony!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say back to not thinking it’s a tort. Agree on the pics looking like torts

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back