Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 95 44.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

Mushrooms are beautiful and it is amazing to see them start to replicate. Sometimes it is less than amazing to see them continue to replicate. They can fill up space that was intended for other aquascaping and dramatic alter your reefing plans. What starts out as wonderful additions to your reef can become a problem that resembles weeds in your yard. This may sound like a great “problem” to have to a new reef keeper, the struggle is real when the overabundance of mushrooms kicks in. Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium? If so, please let us know what type(s) of mushrooms and what you did to deal with the situation.

CoralWealth_Mushrooms.jpeg

Photo by @CoralWealth

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to go back a couple of decades... I had a 220g tank lit by 2x 400w 14000k DE Ushio's + power compact actinics... Yeah, it's been a while. home depot sandbox sand, 5" dsb, Precision Marine Bullet 1 skimmer. That tank could grow _anything_

Anyway, my wife's father got sick, wife spent a great deal of time away, we had 4 small kids, and suddenly, I had no time. For 6 months, zero maintenance. Nothing. I'd feed once or twice a week, and that's about it. At the end of those 6 months, a group of what I call 'Watermelon' mushrooms decided they liked the dirty water, and covered _everything_. Killed my clams, all my corals... Covered every rock surface in the tank.

I ended up using 160lbs of very expensive, wet ship Walt Smith live rock to fill a hole in the back yard. Completely started over.

These things: Never again.
watermelon.jpg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely. I had a pink discosoma that spread like wildfire accross the entire tank! Even the rhodactis was troublesome!

IMG_20180713_211638.jpg

Manual removal became necessary, the final solution to keep them managable was to simply flood the tank with MORE LIGHT!!! And force them BACK to the shadow, from whence they came!!!

Now there are only a a few discosomas left and the rhodactis keep to the crevices and overhangs. The rhodactis also took on a much nicer purple-red color, so win win there. :)
Reef61L-2024-05-12.jpg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms have not become a pest for me. Yet.

6-7 months ago I bought an Orange Rhodactis that was about 3/4" diameter. It stayed that way until about 3 months ago. I now have 2 that are easily 2" in diameter. My LFS threw in a Green Rhodactis at the same time that was about the size of a pencil eraser. It disappeared for probably 2 months until my Tiger Pistol Shrimp drug it out from somewhere. I placed it on it's own rock up off of the sand and it's now 4 mushrooms - soon to be 5.
Once they start migrating off of their own rock and onto the main structure, I'll consider them pests and start trimming while crossing my fingers that they don't go crazy.

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I debate doing a weekly water change just so my mushrooms can have some dirty water as a treat

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These things: Never again.
watermelon.jpg
Indeed those are actually #4 erh I mean #5 down the list from GSP, pulsating xenia, green palys, purple shrooms, then these …
I actually kill or remove them, they got me once, never again
had a pink discosoma that spread like wildfire accross the entire tank
yeah these also, had to throw away a entire rock because of these

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me how to get this problem? I have tried several times with some Jbs and never worked :) really want a tank infested with JBs.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed those are actually #4 erh I mean #5 down the list from GSP, pulsating xenia, green palys, purple shrooms, then these …
I actually kill or remove them, they got me once, never again

yeah these also, had to throw away a entire rock because of these
What? Blue clove polyps didn't make your list?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 Gallon had the back glass 80% Covered with them, before I had to go fallow. Trying to do the same with my 120 Gallon, plus other Corals growing off of the Frag Tiles I glued to the back glass, pre-fill. If they get on my Rock, I cut them off, move them to the glass. When, why did they get so expensive?

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s odd, the only coral I struggle with. Ive went through 4-5 ricordea and currently have zero. I have a single rhodactis that’s been in there about two years and a discosoma about the same amount time that just over the past two months dropped 3 babies.

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 Gallon had the back glass 80% Covered with them, before I had to go fallow. Trying to do the same with my 120 Gallon, plus other Corals growing off of the Frag Tiles I glued to the back glass, pre-fill. If they get on my Rock, I cut them off, move them to the glass. When, why did they get so expensive?
I envy you. I cant even grow GSP on my back wall.

I can grow a nice colony of GHA on my back wall though. The snails have been running up and down eating them up.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a 180 sps dominant mixed reef.
I had moved out and after it went through a crash, my Dad kept it running on life support cruise control for me.
When I finally tore it down, this is what was left.
OrangeRhodactis.JPG

orange75.JPG

And that's not all of it lol. 15 years later, I still have a few of these in my tank (by choice).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say pest, but they were swarming my acros. Had to show them whose boss a couple times

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back