OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5 hour update
The 2 cleaner shrimp i was unable to capture came out when the lights went off. I was able to catch both of them and relocate to another tank. Both were disoriented hope they make it.
Also all kinds of pods and some really tiny shrimp looking things flying around in the tank dying. seen with flashlight.
Inspection with magnifying glass and flashlight revealed possibly pest free acros. Hopefully i dont end up with any undesired casualties in the morning.

I will continue treatments and updates

BrunoSnow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did reread the temp and water movement i didnt add the temp change to my treatment plan do to the many times he said it was inconclusive. I feel i have decent water flow in my90g dt (2) maxspecs 230's on 90% and a hydor 1150 . Plus the fact that im blowing off the infestwd corals with a baster and or extra powerhead

Yes but makes sense stress is a crucial factor changing those parameters may help, but the important is that your efforts are producing results I'm glad to hear that.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been about 24 hours.
First thing this morning my first concern was checking the other tank with a flashlight to see if the cleaner shrimp pulled through. Sad to say they didnt make it. They were a weird couple. The only cleaner shrimp ive ever had that would hide from my hand when presented for cleaning. I wish they would have givin the opportunity to catch and relocate. I dont like lossing animals.
I did see a couple blue leg hermits still walking around today. I spent alot of time the past few days trying to catch and move everything and thought i had gottin all of them. Anyway glad they made it. My pod population is gone this interceptor was like an atom bomb. There are no signs of pods of any kind, also tiny tiny tubeworms or tiny feathe dusters are all over extended. Hope they pull through. Brittle stars seem ok. Fish and snails are fine. All corals look the same with the exception of the valudia and bellina hinting at pe on very few coralites. Thats a plus from zero pe.
Today i did a 20% water change. Turned the skimmer back on.
Also added activated carbon.
This week ill Continue inspection on corals and purchase more AC for next weekends treatment. thanks for all the help and ill keep posting whatever happens

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20170423-213736.png
Looks alot better without those black bugs on it!

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow ill be doing another treatment with the interceptor. I think ill do the recomended dosage this time instead of 4x the recommended. I have not noticed any more black bugs this week while doing surveillance. Also have not noticed and type of pods so after next weeks treatmemt ill probly do a 50% or better water change and run some carbon for a week do another large water change a try seeding pod from my other tank.
Ill keep posting my findings.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so last Saturday night i drolped an atom bomb in my tank in the form of an interceptor tablet. It looks to me to have done the job. After a week of close inspection of acros with a magnifying glass i can not locate any black bugs. With that said i have read that they have an 8-10 day hatching period,so i removed the activated carbon, turned skimmer down and also removed the collection cup. I have again dosed my tank on this night. I did cut my dosage from the 4x recommend to, 2x the recommended dosage. I dont really have a reason other then i dont want to continue to overdose due to not really knowing what the adverse effects would be.
I can tell you that every mobil critter in the tank tats under 1/4" was boing cartwheels 2 hours after the first dose.
Ill be seeding them back in at a later date.
Back to corals cause thats the whole reason for all of this. It seems the corals have responded well. For only being a week i have the slightest bit of PE on a couple acros that had cavities in the coralites instead of polyps. Below are some pictures from today.
I will continue the treatment for one more week as well as post pics of progress.
Also at 1000am tomorrow i will replace skimmer cup and dial skimmer in, also add activated carbon, post 20% water change.
Hope you dont mind cell phone pics
20170429_155558.jpg
20170429_155430.jpg
20170429_155353.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update ....
I put skimmer back on line post 20% WC, also added AC on Sunday. I let things settle and i can see progress. Pretty excited about the response the acros are having, each day i get a little more PE. I will continue one last treatment this weekend to finish the cycle. Ill keep you posted.
Its going to be a busy weekend with reefapoloosa an hour away.
Ill post some picks below of the progress

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, very different from the last pictures that you posted
Its a first for me to actually see progress daily in sps. I have never seen this before. Usually it takes months for sps to respond positively when they have been stressed. Ill take it!

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late update...
Saturday i completed my last dose of interceptor at 2x the recommended dose. I didnt want to take any chances after all the research i did on black bugs being so hard to eradicate. I Pulled the skimmer airline and dose right before the lights went out. Planning for the last dose i statred make water in the morning and through the night.
All went well, this morning i mixed up enough to do about 45% water change. Then I went through the tank with a 90gph return pump and short 6in hose blowing all the rocks out. Let that settle in the bottom of rhe tank about 20 min and then siphoned it all out. Added new water hooked the skimmer airline back up and added activated carbon.
I did notice that a couple blue leg hermits withstood the treatment. Not sure if they were the only ones i left in there or if there were others that did not make it either way. Glad to see they made it.
Corals look better some aready starting to color up and all showing better PE. So far i would say sucessful. Ill keep posting until i see full recovery. And use this thread as a log hopefully it will help some else. I wish
I was able to change the title to reveal the treatment process for black bugs, because you don't get much in response to them when you search for them.
Anyway hope it helps. Ill load some more pis tomorrow

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read my previous post and realized i never posted the pics.
Sorry time must have gotten away from me. Fwiw all acros have shown great rebound in pe. I am still waiting for color, but if you have acros you will know that ould take a couple months. So this will be my last update unless something bad happens and i get infested once again.
Here are some pics from today
20170512_185428.jpg
20170512_185807.jpg
20170512_185559.jpg

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Procrastinating on an interceptor treatment myself, for red bugs. Glad I found this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider and you probably know is to watch dosing. I dont think i had any adverse effects from the interceptor directly on the corals. But i was dosing while being in town for short stays and was not able to recognize an alk spike due to growth slowing.
That spike did more damage then the bugs. Im still seeing the effects, about 90percent back to normal. Still waiting on a couple to color up.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the trigger tonight I think.

Using 2 of the 5.75mg tablets for my 200g system. This was per a dosing spreadsheet I found in another thread that said I needed 2g of the 5.75mg tablet for my volume (it's the medium sized dog dose).

It's one dose for 12hrs, right?
Don't skim throughout?
New carbon and water change when done?

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Using 2 of the 5.75mg tablets for my 200g system. This was per a dosing spreadsheet I found in another thread that said I needed 2g of the 5.75mg tablet for my volume (it's the medium sized dog dose).

Don't skim throughout?
Sorry i didnt catch this post earlier, but yes that what i did 12hr dose i did 4x the recommended. It end up being 1 pill for 85 gallon total water system.
I also left the skimmer running just unhooked the airline to add oxygen to the water. And mid to large wc at the 12hr mark .
Fwiw i also had a couple blue leg hermits live through the treatment

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't skim throughout?
Any updates?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back