Acro Spread on Frag Rack... what to do with the excess?

Jarad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first getting some acros to grow noticeably well, so that's exciting. But I'm left wondering what to do with the edge pieces that have spread on the frag rack, once the frag is moved to a different location/main tank? Are the smaller thing pieces sufficient on their own (in good conditions), or should I toss them? I ask, as I have read some good things about the microfragging stuff from Mote Marine, and it got me thinking I could save/use them. If dumb, that'd help as well, as it's the first time for me to get this far on a frag rack. Thanks!

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s completely up to you, those acro chips are viable and will grow into large colonies if left be and they aren’t overrun by algae.

If you like the pieces enough I would try and keep as much of the scraps together so that you could get another frag of it. The hardest part is keeping sure that they are fastened down well and don’t get overrun by algaes and other nasties.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just wash my frag rack off, throwing those chips away. Never thought about keeping it.

I suppose it could be become a frag of it's own, but sometimes the base doesn't match the frag, and may never grow upwards, just continue to "base out".

Take for instance my purple stylo. Where it encrusted onto my overflow, it just continues to encrust, never shoots out any branches.

OP
OP
J

Jarad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure anyone is interested in an update, but it does work quite well to save them. I took several pieces of the same acro, clued them down next to each other on a small frag plug, and they came together nicely and merged into a single piece. Were 2 hardier ones, Glowstick and Lemonpeel. Granted, this took 9 months or so to reach about a one inch plug size. Finally starting to grow upwards after merging. I'll see if I can post a good pic later on.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure anyone is interested in an update, but it does work quite well to save them. I took several pieces of the same acro, clued them down next to each other on a small frag plug, and they came together nicely and merged into a single piece. Were 2 hardier ones, Glowstick and Lemonpeel. Granted, this took 9 months or so to reach about a one inch plug size. Finally starting to grow upwards after merging. I'll see if I can post a good pic later on.
Next time you should try glueing small bits for different frags and see if you can get them to merge :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
J

Jarad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you should try glueing small bits for different frags and see if you can get them to merge :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Comically, already done on a new batch of battle box acros. We'll see, but I wanted larger pieces of the same family to see what happens.

Back