Acropora Dominant, Bare Bottom, 125 gallon Tank Build

cjmunton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the freshwater hobby for the majority of my life but a year ago made the scary transition to saltwater and have absolutely loved it. I started my venture with a 29 gallon tank utilizing a canister filter. After all of my research previous to making the jump I decided that if I could be successful with a 29 gallon set up that I would most likely be able to find success in the hobby if I decided to do a full investment into a larger tank.

After a year with that particular tank set up I was forced to shut down that tank to pursue a job opportunity in another state. I found a local fish store that was willing to give me store credit for all of my livestock. I used that store credit to get a Red Sea Reefer 600 Protein Skimmer, a Sicce return pump and a media reactor.

It has been three months since I had to tear down that tank but I have finally moved into a permanent residence and I am ready to build my next tank.

After much studying, pondering, mediating, praying, etc. I have decided to make the even scarier jump into SPS.

Tank Concept

My main goal for this tank is to successful grow Acropora coral so to accomplish this I have taken tidbits from both the @WWC WWC/BRSTV hybrid method and some much-appreciated information from @Battlecorals . I have decided to try the bare bottom route which I believe will best allow me to accomplish my goals and vision for this tank.

Tank

My new tank is going to be a 6 foot long 125 gallon with double overflows. I am scheduled to pick up the tank later this week.

Sump

I also built a sump specifically for this tank with a 40 gallon breeder that will have three sections and a built in water reservoir for auto top offs. My first section will house filter socks and my before mentioned protein skimmer. The next section will house a refugium I will utilize until I have established Acropora and then I will transition it into something else. My last section will house the return pump along with a media reactor with Aqua Forest Life Bio Fil.

I will post pictures of the tank later this week along with additional posts to this thread with each step of the build process.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the freshwater hobby for the majority of my life but a year ago made the scary transition to saltwater and have absolutely loved it. I started my venture with a 29 gallon tank utilizing a canister filter. After all of my research previous to making the jump I decided that if I could be successful with a 29 gallon set up that I would most likely be able to find success in the hobby if I decided to do a full investment into a larger tank.

After a year with that particular tank set up I was forced to shut down that tank to pursue a job opportunity in another state. I found a local fish store that was willing to give me store credit for all of my livestock. I used that store credit to get a Red Sea Reefer 600 Protein Skimmer, a Sicce return pump and a media reactor.

It has been three months since I had to tear down that tank but I have finally moved into a permanent residence and I am ready to build my next tank.

After much studying, pondering, mediating, praying, etc. I have decided to make the even scarier jump into SPS.

Tank Concept

My main goal for this tank is to successful grow Acropora coral so to accomplish this I have taken tidbits from both the @WWC WWC/BRSTV hybrid method and some much-appreciated information from @Battlecorals . I have decided to try the bare bottom route which I believe will best allow me to accomplish my goals and vision for this tank.

Tank

My new tank is going to be a 6 foot long 125 gallon with double overflows. I am scheduled to pick up the tank later this week.

Sump

I also built a sump specifically for this tank with a 40 gallon breeder that will have three sections and a built in water reservoir for auto top offs. My first section will house filter socks and my before mentioned protein skimmer. The next section will house a refugium I will utilize until I have established Acropora and then I will transition it into something else. My last section will house the return pump along with a media reactor with Aqua Forest Life Bio Fil.

I will post pictures of the tank later this week along with additional posts to this thread with each step of the build process.
Sounds great! Just be patient. It may take a year or more for sps to survive, especially if you use dry rock. Good luck.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back