Acropora eggs?

fishboy2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new acropora has these brown and white egg looking things accompanied by a white patch, anyone know what they could be?

image.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d contact the seller you bought them from to inform them of what you found .

I only buy frags from 2 places .
both deny ever having flatworms . But one talks about how good flatworm exit works as they use it on their display system ( the same system they cut frags from for their frag sale……

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Flatworm eggs and unfortunately, :
Dip will not kill eggs
Must be scraped off OUTSIDE of the tank in container with tank water

OP
OP
fishboy2021

fishboy2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I tried scrapping off the eggs I find to the best of my ability, flatworm only kills adults not the eggs correct? So would it be worth it to buy?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree eggs of some sort. If It was actual acro eggs they spit them out of the polyp.
Realistically …..
has anyone ever bought a acro frag and it reproduced shortly after acclimation ?

I believe after researching and what I understood of it , there is a lot more to acro reproduction

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically …..
has anyone ever bought a acro frag and it reproduced shortly after acclimation ?

I believe after researching and what I understood of it , there is a lot more to acro reproduction
No I agree but just saying because it was asked.

OP
OP
fishboy2021

fishboy2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the way to go for me is to dip all my acros weekly, I don’t have another established tank so I can’t qt them, I did try using a turkey baster to try and get some off, but nothing was coming off, also in the dip I didn’t see any flatworms. Im thinking that they could just be babies and I didn’t see them?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the way to go for me is to dip all my acros weekly, I don’t have another established tank so I can’t qt them, I did try using a turkey baster to try and get some off, but nothing was coming off, also in the dip I didn’t see any flatworms. Im thinking that they could just be babies and I didn’t see them?
Be careful. Dipping is stressful to corals. You’re not going to see happy healthy growth if you take everything out every week and dip it.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful. Dipping is stressful to corals. You’re not going to see happy healthy growth if you take everything out every week and dip it.
One of the recommended treatment strategies for AEFW is dipping all the acros in a system, every week for 6-8 weeks. If you don't dip them frequently enough or for long enough, you'll miss eggs/AEFW and be back to square one. They're a PITA.

I also have been dipping any corals in my QT tank either every other week or weekly at times too without any problems.

In terms of AEFW treatment, I did weekly dips for 3-4 weeks last year, followed by every other dips for another few weeks and was luckily able to beat it back completely without recurrence. My acros didn’t take a hit at all from the frequent dips; polyps would be fully extended within a few hours post dip. I had some mini colonies to colony sized acros too.

Prep
51F507D0-62C2-43F0-B958-F209AFA2B603.jpeg

Removal of acros
EDFA2BBE-7789-4EDB-9030-DE7A13FEE819.jpeg

Dipping!
1CC0753F-C82E-44FF-85AB-FE16652A1FAB.jpeg

Rinsing
3661BDFA-7D5A-48A5-AB05-8239DE1CB931.jpeg

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pray i never have them again its been many years since and i do a long qt now. However if i do this is the approach i will use.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back