Acropora STN

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I've been having issues over the past week or so with an stn event on my acroporas. One whole large (6" or so) colony has completely died, but now my large ssc colony is doing a similar thing and another is showing similar early symptoms.

To preface, here's my most recent (yesterday) test results:
Phosphates: 27 ppb (hanna ulr checker)
Nitrates: 0 (or close to it using red sea pro low range scale)
Alk: 10 (hanna alk checker)
Calcium: 450 (hanna calcium Checker)
Mag: 1325 (red sea pro titration)
Temp: between 76 and 77 degrees (apex)
Ph: 8.05 to 8.1 (apex)

I notice what appears to be a slime, that I suspect is an algae on the coral before the tissue begins to die as can be seen here.... (this is the one showing symptoms)
20180118_152856.jpg

20180118_152906.jpg

These corals recieve strong indirect flow from a gyre 250 which should blast this off and even with manual removal (turkey baster blasting), the stuff comes back in no time (like overnight). Any more flow on them (which i've tried on the first colony that experienced this) and it causes tissue damage, itself. I've observed no parasites and all corals get a dip before introduction.

This is the SSC that's already exhibiting stn and from previous experience, i've got about 2 days until it's a goner......
20180118_152842.jpg

20180118_152845.jpg

What's throwing me is that they are exhibiting great color and PE before and even throughout this whole process. Do you guys have any ideas and tips? I've got several other large colonies that are looking great right now and I don't want them to start having the same problems.....

Thanks in advance!

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if that whole colony dies in 2 days thats more like RTN.

clip a frag now, it may be the only chance u get to save any. Ultimately you gotta figure out why it RTN tho..... could be so many reasons.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting do you have under it? You're not blasting them with to much light causing them to bleach are you?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get your nitrates up. The brown stringy algae on the dead coral is a sign that nutrients bottomed out. This happened to me once with the same growth. Dosed nutrients up saved my coral. The high alk increases growth but without nutrients there is nothing to sustain the zoox within the tissue.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonies are hard, whether wild or mari. Even the best-of-the-best lose a good percentage of them.

The tank looks fairly new. New tanks are hard with acropora.

When you blend the two together, even if you did everything right, the success rate would be low.

Edit: I don't like temp at 76, but probably a nit. The rest of your parameters are fine - nobody has zero Nitrate and even very close to zero is hardly a problem unless you are driving it artificially low with organic carbon.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at you parameters,
You have 0 nitrates, and high phosphates, and the combined alk.
I would suggest bring down you phosphates with lanthanum chloride dosing to .02 to .03 and dosing urea for bring up the nitrates to 3 to 5 ppm. Let the alk come down slowly. :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nobody has zero Nitrate and even very close to zero is hardly a problem unless you are driving it artificially low with organic carbon.
He is running GFO and bio pellets. Actually, he made a good thread on building reactors for the purpose.

OP
OP
Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I'll respond to the questions I remember seeing.

The lighting shouldn't be too bad. I'm running 2x an ultra 36" fixtures where the intensity ramps and peaks at about 55% intensity. This is supplemented by 2 6' t5s to get a more even illumination. The 2 specimens pictured here are at about 300-350 PAR as per my apex pmk. Here's my par map...

2017-12-07 20.17.05.jpg

It seems the general concensus is starving with low nutrients? What is the best way to raise nitrates? I already feed 7 or 8 times daily, so I may need to supplement nitrogen. I took GFO offline while I am seeding biopellets and also took carbon offline.

If it helps, the 2 acros up at around 450 or 500 are the ones that are faring best. I also bumped up my intensity about 3% since this map was done. But slowly, like 1% per week. I estimate my par is at about 375 at the ssc now, but haven't set the pmk up to check for sure. The large colony at 394 par is the other one that already died.

I'll give them a dip this afternoon in case it's bacterial.

Is 27 ppb considered high for phosphates? I thought under 50 ppb was considered the target.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the biopellets, GFO and GAC offline. This will let your tank more naturally figure out what the levels will be. You do not have to do anything else... keep skimming and changing water.

After a few weeks, test the N and P again and see how it trends. As long as you are under 10 N and .1P, I would leave everything also. Some folks like higher numbers, but I do not... especially when I am trying to grow and grow stuff.

A good rule of thumb is to look for a healthy amount of new coralline spots. This is a good litmus that calcification is working well in your tank.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the biopellets, GFO and GAC offline. This will let your tank more naturally figure out what the levels will be. You do not have to do anything else... keep skimming and changing water.

After a few weeks, test the N and P again and see how it trends. As long as you are under 10 N and .1P, I would leave everything also. Some folks like higher numbers, but I do not... especially when I am trying to grow and grow stuff.

A good rule of thumb is to look for a healthy amount of new coralline spots. This is a good litmus that calcification is working well in your tank.
I agree with this; makes little sense to dose a source of nutrients or feed more when you have items intended to remove them.

As to your question regarding phosphate levels, 27ppb (.083ppm) isn't a cause for a concern.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already stated a few times 0 nitrates and that high of alk is a bad thing. You can try dosing nitrates (feed heavier, use some sort of coral food) or start to lower you alk to at least 8.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had these pieces?
The first picture the coral is dead already.
Second the coral is near death.
You can try fragging but from the images you have posted I doubt you will get any surviving frags.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had these pieces?
The first picture the coral is dead already.
Second the coral is near death.
You can try fragging but from the images you have posted I doubt you will get any surviving frags.

It's the same coral and it isn't dead.

Edit: first two pictures

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back