Acros spreading but not growing upright

  • Thread starter Thread starter Riotjj21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Riotjj21

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2021
Messages
121
Reaction score
24
Location
Laguna Niguel
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these two acro (garf bonsai and ATL Joleen) that I bought three months ago. They are growing and spreading along the frag plug but they are not growing coralites. Unfortunately I bought them that way. Any ideas on what to do to make they grow upright? Thanks
 
They will need to “base out” or otherwise spread onto the rock and feel more stable before growing upward.

Here’s an example of my pink caddy frag. Hasn’t grown upward at all but is covering the plug and will soon start covering rock making it more stable.
039D88CB-B576-4914-B69A-C63E1069F450.jpeg
F05B610F-D1D3-4FEA-8285-5D33F1352846.jpeg
 
Not sure about the ATL piece, but the bonsai is notorious for basing out first. Some corals start out by spreading out and then exploding in vertical growth.
 
More flow makes the coral lay down more calcium so it stays in place in the current. More flow would make it encrust more before growing upwards. The branches will be thicker as well.
Really? That was not my experience. As soon as I put more flow all my corals started to encrust less and grow up more
 
Really? That was not my experience. As soon as I put more flow all my corals started to encrust less and grow up more
Usually how it works. Corals in high flow tend to be thicker branched and stumpier. The ones in low flow tend to be thinner branched and more spindly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new