Acrylic aquarium manufacturers in Canada?

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have a large custom aquarium project coming up and I need to have a tank built. All my previous custom tanks have come from Miracles here in Canada, but I have a feeling this won't be something they can build for me out of glass.

Does anyone have any recommendations on acrylic tank builders here in Canada? It's going to be a sort of 'S' curved tank, 9ft long and about 450gal.

Thanks!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there are any. There have been a few small timers come and go but I don't ever recall there being a large acrylic tank manufacture in Canada. The unofficial reason has always been glass is cheaper in Canada than the US and Acrylic is more expensive in Canada then the US but I don't know if that's true or not.

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. I have a fear that this can't be done except in acrylic, and I think if I were to inquire with Living Color or ATM, it's going to be insanely pricey.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going Acrylic I haven't heard of any manufacturers in Canada and after having a custom acrylic sump built in Canada I can 110% believe the reason is cost of materials. Everything has to be ordered from the US and shipping, duties, taxes and manufacturer markup make the price of acrylic sheets scary.

Any particular reason for the S shape? Typically curved Aquariums are a nightmare to clean, especially if made from acrylic...

Honestly I think it would be best to order your tank from the US. Less shipping, better material costs. Even with the duties and taxes at the border you will most likely end up paying much less than having it manufactured here, if it's even possible...

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going Acrylic I haven't heard of any manufacturers in Canada and after having a custom acrylic sump built in Canada I can 110% believe the reason is cost of materials. Everything has to be ordered from the US and shipping, duties, taxes and manufacturer markup make the price of acrylic sheets scary.

Any particular reason for the S shape? Typically curved Aquariums are a nightmare to clean, especially if made from acrylic...

Honestly I think it would be best to order your tank from the US. Less shipping, better material costs. Even with the duties and taxes at the border you will most likely end up paying much less than having it manufactured here, if it's even possible...
Thanks for the advice. Still trying to get it made out of glass, but we'll see.

As for why the S shape? It fits with the client's design aesthetic. It's for a dentist office and whatever. Doesn't really matter since it's someone else's wish. It's more of a ~ shape though. Not quite a crazy S.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Still trying to get it made out of glass, but we'll see.

As for why the S shape? It fits with the client's design aesthetic. It's for a dentist office and whatever. Doesn't really matter since it's someone else's wish. It's more of a ~ shape though. Not quite a crazy S.

Well Derek would be the one to talk to about that and he would know for certain if it could or couldn't be done. I don't imagine either price being remotely reasonable to be honest so as long as your client knows that going in. Like I said if you're forced to Acrylic, ordering from a US manufacturer will end up being cheaper in the long run :)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait what? I have no ideas about acrylic tanks up here, but I just read your build thread. Are you Chris the fish room guy from Aquatica? Man I miss that place!

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait what? I have no ideas about acrylic tanks up here, but I just read your build thread. Are you Chris the fish room guy from Aquatica? Man I miss that place!
Sure am! Sorry I don't recognize you through the scuba gear.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you would without it either lol
You sold me my first saltwater fish.

FB_IMG_1583279642787.jpg

OP
OP
.Chris.

.Chris.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you would without it either lol
You sold me my first saltwater fish.

FB_IMG_1583279642787.jpg
I definitely remember you! Don't remember what fish it was but I know the face. I hope all is well with you and yours!

Back