Actinic supplemental LED strips

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60" long and I presently am running 48" 6x54watt ATI consisting off four blue plus so I am not looking for more 'blue' per se. But what I am looking for is 'Actinic' supplemental lighting where you get the flourensce of the coral like during dust/moonlight hours.

What is everyone using for Actinics and/or what would you recommend for a 60" long? I was thinking something like reef brite LED strips but only see 'blue' 'white' and '50/50' , True Lumen only goes to 48". I didn't want more t5 lights so was hoping there is a LED strip out there with actinic.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the original 2 x reefbrite blue LEDs the worked ok. Have not tried their xho leds.

I now run buildmyleds super actinic LEDs I think it is alot brighter than the reefbrite LEDs and they are dimmable with my apex

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the original 2 x reefbrite blue LEDs the worked ok. Have not tried their xho leds.

I now run buildmyleds super actinic LEDs I think it is alot brighter than the reefbrite LEDs and they are dimmable with my apex

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

What kind of spread do you get with them ? I'm looking to supplement my t5's but see they only go as big as 48" and my tank is 72"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
S

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems us 'long tank' folks have less options.

Besides the LED 'shimmer' effect I don't get with the T5's , I am looking for that dark light 'flouresence' look the corals get under some certain light. I assumed it was the 'true actinics'. Jay has a frag tank with a standalone light that is what I had in mind, I'll have to find out what he is using.

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems us 'long tank' folks have less options.

Besides the LED 'shimmer' effect I don't get with the T5's , I am looking for that dark light 'flouresence' look the corals get under some certain light. I assumed it was the 'true actinics'. Jay has a frag tank with a standalone light that is what I had in mind, I'll have to find out what he is using.

I emailed buildmyled.com yesterday and was told that they will be introducing a 60" and 72" option in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into using these:Stunner LED Strips

And a 48" one will be plenty for what you are wanting to do. Or you could add a 12" to it.

The only experience I have with led strips are with these ecoxotic and current power brites when I had halides mind u. The ecoxotic I could not even see unless halides were off so I would highly discourage you from ordering these! As far as others that are available not sure but def consider a DIY with Cree bulbs and guarantee you'd see a significant "pop"!

OP
OP
S

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post on update on this subject . I FINALLY bought the 60" Reefbrite XHO blue and I LOVE THEM!!!

They absolutely bring out the Coral Fluorescence. And when the T5's are off WOW!!!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Can't wait to see if the extra 75 watts of LED help the clam and sps coral.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back