activated carbon question(s)

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, so i came across this issue during the weekend and am kinda stumped on it. To my understanding activated Carbon helps remove certain medicines, supplements, dyes, it helps clear up the water, etc...
On saturday my carbon did the opposite and i woke up to a cloudy tank and noticed in the sump area a film of clear mucous. I automatically knew it was a bacterial bloom of some sort and after doing some reading I came across a few articles that says carbon may cause this so I shut down my reactor and let my tank settle down, came back from work this afternoon to a crystal clear aquarium without the use of carbon.
Now i have used carbon for years running it 24/7 and this is the first time i have come across this issue any ideas of what could of cause this out break?

Parameters:
ALK- 9.0
CAL- 470
MAG- 1400
PHOS-.06
NIT-.50
SALT- 35

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it is likely at all that GAC (granular activated carbon) causes bacterial growth.

You may have seen articles that organic carbon dosing drives bacterial growth (it does) and some folks may simplify that statement to carbon.

OP
OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea GAC it’s a new bottle but been using this brand for years already.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not activated carbon causing cloudy water. Something likely died or macroalgae released its insides. I can actually cause chaeto macroalgae to fog the water up the next day. I rinse it in a bucket of tap water to clean it, and put it back in the sump. Doesnt even die, just releases glucose or something which causes a bacterial bloom.

OP
OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect the cloudiness is not caused by the GAC unless it is very dusty and wasn’t rinsed.
Could be a possibility I was in a little hurry when changing out the GAC and didnt rinse it well as i normally do. Thanks Randy

OP
OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not activated carbon causing cloudy water. Something likely died or macroalgae released its insides. I can actually cause chaeto macroalgae to fog the water up the next day. I rinse it in a bucket of tap water to clean it, and put it back in the sump. Doesnt even die, just releases glucose or something which causes a bacterial bloom.
Thanks Cory! Is it normal for Macroalgae to do this? I've been in the hobby for years and first time i've come across this issue.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cory! Is it normal for Macroalgae to do this? I've been in the hobby for years and first time i've come across this issue.

Its not normal. But species of caulerpa are known to go "sexual" releasing their insides and turning all white. The tank gets foggy from that.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question here, I understand what carbons main purpose is, but can it help with your parameters as well? Just curious..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question here, I understand what carbons main purpose is, but can it help with your parameters as well? Just curious..

You mean GAC and parameters such as alkalinity and calcium? No. :)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with randy. It wont help with calcium or alk, but it will make the water clearer possibly allowing more light in. And it will remove compounds or organics. In some cases it may actually worsen parameters like iodine. Iirc carbon removes iodine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant like ammonia, nitrate and such

It won't have a big apparent impact on any except organics and yellowing. it can slowly reduce things that are bound to organic matter, such as some metals and a very small impact, perhaps, on nitrate as organics are removed before decomposition.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, what is the effect of activated carbon on amino acids, particularly dosing?

Most will not bind very well since they are very hydrophilic (will all carry at least one positive and one negative charge in seawater). A few of the more hydrophobic types (e.g., phenylalanine) may bind with their hydrophobic end stuck to the GAC, but I'm not sure.

here are some that may bind.
http://www.dummies.com/education/science/nonpolar-hydrophobic-amino-acids-of-biochemistry/
277338.image0.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back