Activated carbon leaching iron?

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

While doing some maintenance today, I noticed discoloration on a bag of carbon I added a few days ago. Initially I figured it was just some bacterial/algal growth but after pulling it out, I'm almost certain it's iron/rust staining.

PXL_20240103_181610677.jpg

PXL_20240103_181615905.jpg

This bag was added to the tank about 5 days ago. It's a nylon mesh bag filled with Marineland Black Diamond activated carbon, which I've used many times and never had any issues.

I'm not ruling out external contamination either, this bag was placed right before the return chamber in my sump, so it would likely catch any debris from other equipment in the sump or in the tank. Going to start checking pumps, magnets etc. and see if there's anything suspect.

Anyone else ever had carbon do something like this? And is there media available to absorb iron out of the water column?

Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe the GAC itself released iron, and it is very unlikely iron is high enough to be a concern. Some people dose it very high.

I’m not sure what that is, however, or how it got there.

Last edited:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

While doing some maintenance today, I noticed discoloration on a bag of carbon I added a few days ago. Initially I figured it was just some bacterial/algal growth but after pulling it out, I'm almost certain it's iron/rust staining.

PXL_20240103_181610677.jpg

PXL_20240103_181615905.jpg

This bag was added to the tank about 5 days ago. It's a nylon mesh bag filled with Marineland Black Diamond activated carbon, which I've used many times and never had any issues.

I'm not ruling out external contamination either, this bag was placed right before the return chamber in my sump, so it would likely catch any debris from other equipment in the sump or in the tank. Going to start checking pumps, magnets etc. and see if there's anything suspect.

Anyone else ever had carbon do something like this? And is there media available to absorb iron out of the water column?

Thanks.
I also use Marineland Diamond carbon, and when I change it in my filter, I periodically see small rust stains in. I don't sweat it.

OP
OP
MoparMike97

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Glad it's nothing abnormal. The was the first time I've run it in a bag, I had previously been running it in a media reactor so I probably just never noticed the staining before. Appreciate the help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id caution on the interpretation of where the colored material comes from and what it may be.

Precipitation of calcium carbonate from my kalkwasser was totally white, but after exposure to my tank water, discolored to look like the picture above.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 4. When limewater drips onto surfaces, such as the sides of a sump, precipitation of calcium carbonate takes place. The off-white coloration probably comes from metals such as iron binding to the calcium carbonate surface in the place of calcium.​

1704314143235.jpeg

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ro carbon block does this. My reactor does this. I never did sort it out. We are on a natural aquifer that filters the water via lime rock. So I'll take Randy's explanation.

sayurasem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My carbon does the same. I’m using red sea carbon.

Attachments

• IMG_0917.jpeg
    IMG_0917.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 18

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back