AFR calculation question

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out what AFR raises my calcium in my 66 gallon with sump volume tank to help me understand what AFR is in contrast to Red Sea Mg. I’m dosing 13ml per day.

AFR states that 6ml raises calcium by 4ppm in 15 gallons. I’m having a difficult time with calculating this in correlation to Red Sea to know how much Iron+ to dose based off of my AFR dose. If anybody can quikly help me to come up with this solution, I would appreciate it.

The instructions confuse me because it states to add 1ml/100l (25 gal) to gain 0.01 ppm Fe

So to achieve 0.05 ppm Fe it would result in 10ml of Iron+ I just need the formula for AFR

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 ml per day of all for reef should raise your calcium by about 2 ppm.
Thank you for your response. That seems rather low for consumption I’m going to need to investigate a bit

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of adding trace elements based on alk or calcium consumption when such consumption is low. Obviously the guidelines are not well suited to a tank where most trace element demand comes from organisms that do not consume alk or calcium (soft corals, anemones, macroalgae, microalgae, etc.).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back