Actual water volume in tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tinklez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tinklez

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2025
Messages
230
Reaction score
100
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or so the actual water volume in the tank less than advertised? I have a 50 gallon IM AIO, and I think the total amount of water I actually fit into it was only around 35 gallons. I have a rock structure and filters in the back, but it took up a lot more room than I thought.

Is this normal??
 
I’d say that’s pretty normal, I have an IM Nuvo 10. I have about 7lb of live rock and 10lb of sand to displace water - plus the aio chambers in the back filled with filtration materials. Actual water volume is about 7 gallons. That’s a ratio of 70% of the advertised volume. Coincidentally 35g is exactly 70% of 50g as well.
 
I believe you have to factor in ('out') the thickness of all the glass; in an AIO, also the several panels; and the fact that no one ever fills a tank to the tippy-top. 😉
 
Is it just me or so the actual water volume in the tank less than advertised? I have a 50 gallon IM AIO, and I think the total amount of water I actually fit into it was only around 35 gallons. I have a rock structure and filters in the back, but it took up a lot more room than I thought.

Is this normal??
It is 100% normal!

In fact, the industry standard for a LONG time has been to advertise a tank by the volume it displaces, not it’s actual capacity!

That is, they advertise the tank based on outside dimensions…. (A 6’x2’x2’ rimmed 180g tank is actually closer to 164g, filled to the brim!) usually, this maths out to 10-15% larger than the actual realistic filled system volume…

Then you consider the tank’s actual operating water height, subtract the bottom glass pane’s thickness, include displacement of all the AIO dividers, their different water heights, displacement of rock/sand/equipment…

35g is probably pretty spot on for your system!

(As you can probably imagine, this makes speccing equipment, pumps, and even livestock quite confusing! — best bet is just assuming that most brands will list the advertised tank volume, not the actual tank capacity for their products! [following the “bigger number better” sales trend…])
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new