ADAM THE BAGS WERE COLD, LIKE 70 DEGREES.........THE STONE "COLD" FACTS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If this title is striking a familiar cord with you, then you will not be surprised or enriched by what I am about to say next.

Truth is, this is one of those subjects that I seem to touch on very regularly. Especially this time of year, and it really just has to do with orders coming in cold or cool at least. 75° or below. And I totally understand the concern about colder bags on delivery believe me. This is something I have given a great deal of thought.

My response usually goes something like this. In my experience sps will tolerate cooler temps in the low 70s or high 60s even remarkably better than they can handle warmer. And by that I mean once you hit 85+ sps will usually not fare well. And then I'll go on about how I get wholesale orders in regularly that are in the low 70s to high 60s without issues. Consequently, I like to er on the side of letting them get cooler as opposed to possibly overheating. This can happen early on when heat packs temps may still be rising before getting to resting temps combined with outside exposure in the mid to late afternoon that is mild to warm and/sunny.

So the question remains, when it's colder out, but not freezing, like it is now, this time of year, and a box may be going somewhere warmer than it is here, do I add heat packs or not?

It's a tough needle to thread sometimes and I am still exploring what really works and what does not. But like I mentioned in the paragraph above, generally I won't add heat packs in cases where the destination is warmer. And they may get little cooler early on but definitely won't run the risk of overheating. If they are staying in the upper midwest, I may add one but I'll "choke" them back a little by putting tape over some of the vent hole ares that let air in to effectively create heat. This slows the process down and the packs don't get as warm as they would otherwise unrestricted. I also have a couple different styro thickness options that I can work with. If it is a little cooler outside, a lot of the time a well sealed, air tight styro, 1" or thicker will be very effective. Conversely, I may choose to use a heat pack in a thinner walled styro to provide just enough heat, but not over heat.

Untitled design-25.png

Anyway, before I ramble on any longer and loose you guys, I'd love to hear some feedback on any frags that did come in colder, and having heard my speil, how they really ended up doing for you. Am, I full of it on this, or were they ok? Would love to hear any other thoughts and/or opinions on the matter one way or another, vendors and hobbyists input all welcome.

Last edited:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last 2 have came in colder (60s?) and been totally fine hit the ground running except 1 sensitive frag that melted. Totally a tough needle to thread and if you get 90% right you’re doing pretty darn good!

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first order from you was recent. The rainbows army contest +6. They felt cool although I did not test the temp. I just floated the bags and then did my thing. 1 was doa and 2 more died within 24 hrs. But you sent a freebie also so 5 out of 8 survived and are doing great!
shipping is tough and I do not envy that part of your business. But happy with the stuff I got and that rainbows army is doing fantastic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dont have expectations except for one-
Vendors should be tracking weather for use of heat or ice packs and factoring weather with possible delays

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown on here send me an Acropora frag pack in the winter (I live in Denver) improperly packed (head pack had oxygen holes blocked and was cold). Temps were around 50 degrees in the bag and half survived. Of course, the guy refused a refund because there was still skin on the frags when I got them. A frag frozen in an ice-cube will also still have skin on it. Check out my negative review if you want the skinny, and who you should avoid so you don't get ripped off. Genetic samples are also less hardy as evidenced by the losses. As a buyer, I'd rather receive a bunch of dead, smelly, rotting frags so I can at least take a picture proving that they're actually DOA. Of Course, shady sellers may see it otherwise. I've purchased dozens of boxes of coral over the years and this was the exception, besides DeadAquaria... same thing, fish in ice cold water, no heat packs wrapped in Korean newspapers. SMH

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anything over 68 was fine. Anything over 82 would struggle, bleach maybe live, maybe die.
Anything under 68 was goo or white skeleton.

I avoid overly hot days and very frigid days. I do my best to know what week to order and hope the vendor complies. I do not like dead things.
But now I'm more terrified of shipping delays.

James G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been a long time reefer, since the 90's when yellow poly's were cool. It has also been my experience that frags and corals all do better cooler rather than hotter. I have lost full colonies when my tank chiller died, but never lost anything because it was to cold.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would MUCH rather receive any coral, not just SPS, at lower temps than I would higher temps. I've had stuff come in far colder than what you've described and they were just fine. Conversely, I've had stuff come in as a bag of brown soup when they get hot (85+, as you've described). Especially mushrooms, they definitely don't like to get hot in shipping and man, do they sure get nasty in a hurry in the bags!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the results speak for themselves. Dispite being cold the frags survive so it works. I think a lot of us, myself included over report this stuff in case **** dies in the next day or so. All mine survived, so its good enough.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of hate heat packs tbh... lost too many coral to a heat pack...

Didn't lose any coral during a blizzard + power outage when the tank got into the 60's but lost nearly every SPS when the AC went out... when I was out of town (of course) during a heat wave (OF COURSE!)... and the tank got 91.

acidrain01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I had our minds BLOWN here in Denver at reefstock. We had always wondered how all these folks transport all the coral everywhere safely. Turns out, there are a HUGE number of corals that can survive several hours just being wrapped in a damp paper towel placed in a baggie. Not all. Please don’t try it just to see. And I have LONG been told, slightly cooler is superior to slightly warm. I order way too many corals. I live in Denver. And have only ever had a problem when our temp crashed from 71 day order shipped to -3 next day order arrived. Imo: fedex offers free hold and pick up of packages. If it’s below freezing, or above 75 out, just have fedex hold it for you inside. Much safer. And much better for our animals (corals) to have less temp stress.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife and I had our minds BLOWN here in Denver at reefstock. We had always wondered how all these folks transport all the coral everywhere safely. Turns out, there are a HUGE number of corals that can survive several hours just being wrapped in a damp paper towel placed in a baggie. Not all. Please don’t try it just to see. And I have LONG been told, slightly cooler is superior to slightly warm. I order way too many corals. I live in Denver. And have only ever had a problem when our temp crashed from 71 day order shipped to -3 next day order arrived. Imo: fedex offers free hold and pick up of packages. If it’s below freezing, or above 75 out, just have fedex hold it for you inside. Much safer. And much better for our animals (corals) to have less temp stress.
I have actually attempted this in the past and the results were no good but I remember people talking about doing this year and years ago. I mean like when I first discovered reef central so it's definitely a thing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back