Adanced plumbing question - overflow from sump

Discordian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a build. I have a small room/closet near where my tank will be. I am planning a custom sump and mixing station that fit this space. My question is can I put an overflow on the sump, which leads to a drain and in the same chamber as my ATO, such that I can add fresh saltwater to my display and have excess saltwater flow out of the sump into the overflow leading to the drain to make a simple water change solution? I can't see anything wrong with this idea but I have been able to find any examples of this and was wondering if there was a good reason for this I had not considered.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, it sound like a solid solution to avoid accidental flooding. That said, a plumbing diagram of what you are proposing would be helpful. Also, consider what type of drain you are going in to... is there any possibility of backflow going into the sump or blockage to cause a flood?

OP
OP
D

Discordian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, it sound like a solid solution to avoid accidental flooding. That said, a plumbing diagram of what you are proposing would be helpful. Also, consider what type of drain you are going in to... is there any possibility of backflow going into the sump or blockage to cause a flood?
I will be working on a plumbing diagram... but that will take a bit of time. There is no possibility of back flow. The room is kind of odd. The previous owners used the closet as a "dog house" which is connected to the outside of out house. Immediately outside the house is a concrete area with several drains leading to the sewer which lead to the local treatment plant. The pipe to the drain would just go out the 'dog door' far enough from the house to get to the drain.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it. Post 235 on my build thread. Works great, so easy :).

OP
OP
D

Discordian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it. Post 235 on my build thread. Works great, so easy :).

Thanks so much! This is very similar to what I was thinking. And your thoughts about not wanting to rely on a controller or other equipment is why this sounds good to me. You like this set up? If you had to do it again would you do it the same way?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’d do it again. For my tank, I’d run a larger diameter drain pipe. I thought 1” pvc would be enough, and it works fine, but it drains a bit slower. So it takes a little longer to drain 30 gallons, than it takes to pump in. Not a big deal, cause it’s totally safe, and when I remember, I close the drain. But would be nice to have it drain fast.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back