Add another fish to qt with another fish in it?

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish in qt that has been fully treated for ICH. can i buy a new fish to add to QT? or does the process then start over? DT is empty due to having to wait until ICH has burned out in DT

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish in qt that has been fully treated for ICH. can i buy a new fish to add to QT? or does the process then start over? DT is empty due to having to wait until ICH has burned out in DT

What ich treatment did you use?

In general, adding a new fish to a system requires that the quarantine clock starts over on day 1.

Jay

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It restarts your QT clock, but if you have 30+ days of fallow left then go for it. Also depends if that fish is readily available and how long you have been looking for one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is usually recommended that you not QT 2 batches of fish in the same tank (i.e. from 2 different sources). Thus, the best practice would be to not add another fish. If you start over with a completely new copper cycle, you're exposing the old fish to more copper than it needs and copper can have some side effects. So short answer - I would not buy a new fish until the old one is back in the (after the fallow period) Display tank. Hope this helps

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you kill ich faster in any way in DT? I have spent forever increasing the temperature from 25c to 26.9c now. anything else i can do? deathly boring looking into an empty tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you kill ich faster in any way in DT? I have spent forever increasing the temperature from 25c to 26.9c now. anything else i can do? deathly boring looking into an empty tank

At 27.5 c, you are pretty safe going with 45 days, but 60 is still safer.

Is the tank empty of ALL animals, or just fish? If it is empty of ALL animals (all invertebrates) you can raise the water temperature up to 85 F. and the fallow period would be 45 days (or even less).

If the tank is empty, you could also sterilize it and restart the cycle.

Jay

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a lot of LPS and sps, one hermit, two snails and a peppermint, thx for advice :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%

Back