Add fish now or wait?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is cycled, but I just got my summer work schedule. 6 days a week, 14 hours a day. Obviously I will not be paying much attention to my tank. I will be putting off getting any corals until September at the earliest. However, I am wondering if it would be ok to get a few fish so that the tank will continue to mature. I will be able to do a few small water changes throughout the summer but I don't see myself figuring out how much to dose nor anything else that has to do with corals. Should I add fish now, or is better to just continue ghost feeding, or should I just let it sit fallow? TIA

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anybody that can feed for you? A couple small clown fish should be fine as long as you can keep up with a little weekly maintenance. I would stay away from wrasses or other fish that require multiple feedings. The good news on letting the tank mature is you have a higher success for coral.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be able to feed three times a day, two frozen and one pellet. I am hoping for a blenny and probably a couple of clowns.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the same thing. I have a couple of clowns, some cuc, a lawnmower blenny. I also have a Mandarin, she is just eating copepods. It’s pretty low maintenance but I do spend about 4 hours a week doing the basics. Copepod and phyto cultivation takes about half that time.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ippyroy how big is your tank? I have a 120G that had two clown fish for a couple of months before I started adding other fish, and I added corals around month four. It was nice because there wasn’t much to worry about and I learned slowly.

So I think adding a few fish and being able to keep an eye on things is a great way to start. Better than trying to rush in and adding a ton of stuff at once. If you’re fish only for a while I don’t think you need to worry about as many parameters or testing — but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad part is that I can't order any live animals after the middle of October due to not seeing above freezing temps till maybe late April. My tank right now is only 32 gallons. I will hopefully be upgrading to 120 in October and making the 32 gallon a display fuge. The original plan was to start getting corals in July/August and have them ready for the upgrade. I also was hoping to get a couple of tangs in September as well. Now I have to rethink the plans.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back