Question about filling new tank

Rivensbane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am about to begin my journey into Saltwater. I have done Freshwater for a few years and I am looking to convert my 55 gallon into Saltwater. Onto my question. My storage area available for RODI is limited and I will only be able to mix 30ish gallons at a time. This will be fine for water changes but not the inital fill. Will it be fine to add 30 gallons one day to the tank and then two days later add the rest? I have a gap day due to a day of mixing. This will just be a FOWLR tank.

Thank you all!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am about to begin my journey into Saltwater. I have done Freshwater for a few years and I am looking to convert my 55 gallon into Saltwater. Onto my question. My storage area available for RODI is limited and I will only be able to mix 30ish gallons at a time. This will be fine for water changes but not the inital fill. Will it be fine to add 30 gallons one day to the tank and then two days later add the rest? I have a gap day due to a day of mixing. This will just be a FOWLR tank.

Thank you all!
That's fine.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you all!
SUre! I did my 90 that way because while I do have an Ro system under my sink, it only make I think 75gallons in an entire day, and I work. SO I was only able to do a few gallons a day. I think it took like 3 days to totally fill my tank

OP
OP
R

Rivensbane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to save a day mixing, as long as there is nothing alive in the tank, fill up the tank and mix it in there.
Would I then add the sand and rock after? I read somewhere that it is hard to get the salt mixed good with sand and rock in there. If that's not the case then awesome.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I then add the sand and rock after? I read somewhere that it is hard to get the salt mixed good with sand and rock in there. If that's not the case then awesome.
Sand/rock anytime. Salt melts in the water. Just have the powerhead mix it up in the tank.

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled my 75 gallon and mixed the salt with sand and rocks in there. I just dumped it in really slowly into a power head. Some of it looked to settle on the sand so I used my hand to make waves and agitate the sand to kick it back up and it dissolved just fine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back