Adding 2 part to water change salt

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say I had an automated WC system with pumps. Could I add lots of a balanced 2 part to my salt to make it extra rich in Ca, Alk, Mag, and trace then continuously run that so I was doing a water change as well as dosing 2 part all at the same time with one pump? Would adding bionic 2 part or nabicarb and cacl to an already 35ppt salt cause precipitation or anything bad?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say I had an automated WC system with pumps. Could I add lots of a balanced 2 part to my salt to make it extra rich in Ca, Alk, Mag, and trace then continuously run that so I was doing a water change as well as dosing 2 part all at the same time with one pump? Would adding bionic 2 part or nabicarb and cacl to an already 35ppt salt cause precipitation or anything bad?

I would that you'd get precipitation from your extra Cal, Alk and Mag by mixing them richly inside the same container.

And if it's off by one element then you'll be dumping the entire batch.

But, let us see what Randy's thoughts are.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would that you'd get precipitation from your extra Cal, Alk and Mag by mixing them richly inside the same container.

And if it's off by one element then you'll be dumping the entire batch.

But, let us see what Randy's thoughts are.
I was suspecting this myself, but maybe its not much until you've added a lot more? @Randy Holmes-Farley will probably know.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the "normal" alkalinity in high alk salt mixes like Red Sea Coral pro and Instant Ocean result in preciptitaton of calcium carbonate. I would not try to add alk to higher than about 11 dKH in new salt water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back