Adding a 4 inch powder blue to a 625g that has an established 6 inch Achilles Tang

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last traunch of fish for my 625g, 7 1/2 foot long (yes its tall and deep also) tank is 4 tangs. 3 Zebrasomas (YT,PT, and Gem) and Powder blue. Among the mates there is an increasingly more assertive blonde Naso( about 11 inches) and an Achilles tang, (approx 6 inches). Now I know that adding a PB to a tank with an established Achilles is very risky, some will say even suicidal but if things go bad I can fetch the PB out and make sure no harm comes to him. I am aware of all the tricks to try to make it work (feed heavily, mirrors, rock work moving, etc). So wHat are the chances of success especially with size tank (although not too long) and adding several tangs at once? I know the achillies will be mad as hell for some days or maybe forever as this has been his domain although the emperor and queen angels are the real rulers of the tank. If anyone has a laundry list of things to try, I’ll take that. So what are my chances? Your answers will influence whether I try this or not. Even comments from the tang police are welcomed!

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last traunch of fish for my 625g, 7 1/2 foot long (yes its tall and deep also) tank is 4 tangs. 3 Zebrasomas (YT,PT, and Gem) and Powder blue. Among the mates there is an increasingly more assertive blonde Naso( about 11 inches) and an Achilles tang, (approx 6 inches). Now I know that adding a PB to a tank with an established Achilles is very risky, some will say even suicidal but if things go bad I can fetch the PB out and make sure no harm comes to him. I am aware of all the tricks to try to make it work (feed heavily, mirrors, rock work moving, etc). So wHat are the chances of success especially with size tank (although not too long) and adding several tangs at once? I know the achillies will be mad as hell for some days or maybe forever as this has been his domain although the emperor and queen angels are the real rulers of the tank. If anyone has a laundry list of things to try, I’ll take that. So what are my chances? Your answers will influence whether I try this or not. Even comments from the tang police are welcomed!
I wouldn’t risk it however depending on your rockscape it can definitely be done. Got a photo of your rockscape (Top Down and front on views are easiest to see what the scape is like).

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do it. If your display is 800gals you can have way more fish lol.
You wanna spread the aggression until it dies down so your better off adding groups of fish rather than 1 single.
Hths u
D

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your size tank i would be very surprised if you have any real issues to deal with.

The bulk of the issues in most cases are when they are unable to escape eachothers path but in a tank that im assuming is pretty big depth-wise too and guessing has plenty of rockwork i cant see you having an issue to any worrying extent barring a few squabbles when they meet.

What are the actual dimensions of the tank out of interest?

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your size tank i would be very surprised if you have any real issues to deal with.

The bulk of the issues in most cases are when they are unable to escape eachothers path but in a tank that im assuming is pretty big depth-wise too and guessing has plenty of rockwork i cant see you having an issue to any worrying extent barring a few squabbles when they meet.

What are the actual dimensions of the tank out of interest?
Exterior measurements are 89Lx33wx49.5tall=629 gal. Sump is 72x27 1/2 x20=168g’s. However when calculating water volumn i use inside measurements and take away 15% for displacement caused by rock and sand. So the calculation goes something like this: 87x31x47.5 =555 (472 water volume when you remove 15% displacement), SUmp (interior)70x25,5x18=139 then subtract 25% (since tank is not full to top)= 104. Add 472+104=576 water volume. Almost everyone uses exterior measurements and don’t subtract for water displacement but I always do and that would put me at 629g’s(main tank)-15% =534g plus (sump) of 168g’s - 25%=126, 534+126=660. That’s the number most would use. I try to stick to 625 when using it to calculate fish stocking levels. Sorry more than you asked for but as you can see not so straight forward especially because of the one inch glass.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may or may not work. Acanthurus can be mean. I had two Convicts in my 500 gal. Display that turned on each at the 6 month mark. It was war on each other every day after. I honestly don’t think Convicts should be kept in aquariums. Constant pacing and spastic behavior even after removing one of them .

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a powder blue to my 7' 360g DT with an established slightly larger Achilles. The tank is moderately stocked with an open aquascape allowing plenty of swimming room. There are three other tangs: Gem, Desardjini and Chocolate, all pretty mild. The PB took an immediate relentless beating from the Achilles. After a couple of hours it was apparent that the Achilles was not going to let the PB blue live in the tank. I took the Achilles out and put him in a frag tang for three or four weeks to let the PB get comfortable in the DT and heal up. When I put the Achilles back in the power dynamic had shifted, he was the new fish albeit the in old territory and the PB was comfortable but not yet established as the dominant tang (the Desardjini is much larger and if pushed will put any other fish in his place) They both seemed to recognize that they were on equal footing and after a few short battles (the Achilles winning but without the same aggression and the PB actually fighting back instead of cowering in the corner) they settled down. Its been a good 4 months or so now and they get along fine. Not best buds, but no fighting at all.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do it. If your display is 800gals you can have way more fish lol.
You wanna spread the aggression until it dies down so your better off adding groups of fish rather than 1 single.
Hths u
D
It’s about 625g of water volumn adding both tank and sump. Approx 7 1/2 ‘x33 x48 for aquarium.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update….he’s been in large acclimation box for about an hour and so far the Achillies has completely ignored him…..he swam past him once and that’s it…hmmm…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since acclimation box is large and he’s not acting stressed and eating well, I’ve kept him in there until a recently acquired GEM comes out of QT. I will then add, PB, YT, PT and Gem together. S/b another 10 days or so.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT still in acclimation box along with YT and GEM in separate containers.. PT to go into acclimation box on Wednesday. Then will wait a week and put them all in. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have said that there is no value in keeping PB in box for more than a week. I’m testing that theory for sure!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back