Adding a mystery wrasse with fairy wrasses?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 150 reef tank. The tank has a large solar fairy wrasse and 2 red/blue, red/orange fairy wrasse. Solar has been in tank 3 or more years. the 2 other fairy wrasse 2 years. Would like to add a mystery wrasse but not sure if the other wrasse will be aggressive to it or not? What do you think. Right now the only aggressive fish I have is a long nose hawk and one of my clowns but I use an acclimation box that usually does the trick. Just not sure how the fairy wrasse will react if at all????

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't tend to play nice with other wrasses as they are of the same basic group as the lined wrasses (ie 6 lined, 4 lined).

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any put a mystery in last and had no issues? If it’s just a straight he will not work, I will drop it. Just getting mixed answers in research and it is an awesome fish. Just don’t want it to kill the fairy’s already in there.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a mystery wrasse at some point (honestly cannot remember who was in the tank at the time without reviewing notes (if any accurate still)). He was great. No aggression by him to anyone before or after him. The others in the tank for the most part ignored him. I know there would have been a yellow tang, Kole tang, two clowns, maybe a fairy wrasse too.

He was very deliberate in food hunting and watching the environment. Loved that fish. I had it many years.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, the Pseudocheilinus genus that the mystery belongs to does not mix well with other wrasses at all. The mystery is a species that there sometimes are exceptions, but I always feel it's best to error on the side of caution.
does it make a difference that my fairy wrasse are already in the tank and the mystery would be the new guy?
If the specimen you ended up with is destined to be an aggressor, the order of addition won't matter.
If it’s just a straight he will not work,
It's not an absolutely certainty that it won't work, but:
Just don’t want it to kill the fairy’s already in there.
That would be the worst case if it didn't.

Zoaologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with them being with other wrasses in large reef tanks 600+ gallons. I have one in my reef with about 25-30 other fairy wrasses & they don’t fight at all but my reef is a total of 1,200 gallons. I wouldn’t do it in a small reef.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back