New Tank Stocking Order Help

Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am re-doing my reef tank - Red Sea XL 525 - 59x22x22 108 gal display 140gal total. I am looking for input on the planned fish list and order for adding them. Below is my list and order to add them... Comment and Suggestions ??? Too many?? Compatibility?? Thanks for your input.

Stocking Order
1 Wrasse Halichoerus Melenarous
1 Wrasse Yellow Wrasse
1 Wrasse Orange Back Fairy wrasses
1 Wrasse Fin Spotted Fairy

2 Anthias Lyretail Anthias /or/ Indian Ocean Lyretail (3)
2 Basslet Royal Gramma Basslet 1
2 Clowns Ocellaris /or/ Gold Strip Maroon Clowns - (Pair 2)

3 Angel Coral Beauty

4 Tang Blonde Noso Tang
4 Tang Square Tail Bristle Tooth or Bristletooth Tomini Tang
4 Tang Purple Tang

5 Hawk Long Nose Hawk

6 Damsels Kupang/Azure Damsels (3)
6 Trigger Blue Throat Trigger

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your order looks good, only things I'd recommend is to move the anthias to first additions so you can get them used to feeding. They can be finnicky and easily be outcompeted by established fish. I've found lyretails to also be quite shy to other fish. Coral beauties can also be very mean once established. Mine wanted to murder my yellow tang when I added the tang, had to put the angel in time out box for 2 weeks. Consider moving the angel after the tangs.

I'd also say that's too many fish for my comfort, but others might feel differently. That's very heavy stocking.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like a 100% guaranteed to get velvet in 48 hours list

what's your disease prep ability

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your order looks good, only things I'd recommend is to move the anthias to first additions so you can get them used to feeding. They can be finnicky and easily be outcompeted by established fish. I've found lyretails to also be quite shy to other fish. Coral beauties can also be very mean once established. Mine wanted to murder my yellow tang when I added the tang, had to put the angel in time out box for 2 weeks. Consider moving the angel after the tangs.

I'd also say that's too many fish for my comfort, but others might feel differently. That's very heavy stocking.
Thanks for reply and input

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like a 100% guaranteed to get velvet in 48 hours list

what's your disease prep ability
Thanks for input - I have no plan for disease prep . all fish are going to be pre QT from Dr Reef... Having said that I am open to removing fish from the list. What ae your suggestions... I know the Naso tang will need to be re-homed at some point.... Can you provide some guidance???

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's better than no preps at all for sure. Dr Reef does a lot of work behind the scenes to get fish ready but it's impossible to do it 100% correct every time. the best way to handle those $ is for you to buy from Dr Reef, and still do your own observational quarantine anyway. I don't believe it's possible to keep any of that mix without your own dedicated disease protocol training applied in the home where the tank is. it'd be different if your plan was 2 clownfish and some gobies but thats thousands in fish, seemingly as a first go/ unless you have a tried and true system already in place that's a massive disease risk above for sure, and stocked quite heavily as well

for all disease prep info/see disease forum stickies it'll take a few days reading to absorb it

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are the trigers and tangs?

Tomini once established along with purple are REAL A holes...
And they get situated FAST, so id put them either very LAST or right before the triger.

Im having problems with a fairy wrasse as well, as its a A Hole, always chasing after my Anthias.
But my Anthias have learned if they are getting heckled too hard, run to the orchid dottyback, and that usually tames the fairy fast.. well more like chases it away.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move the hawk up, skip the Naso altogether, and for sure choose an ocellaris or percula variety over the aggressive maroon species.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to a tang police and recommend against adding a Naso to your tank. The rest are fine. The order mainly needed for fishes that in the same group (wrasses,tangs). All together as once is good if you can manage that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back