Adding a section to my sump

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an Eshopps RS-75 Reef Sump (not the latest gen) shown below...

I currently have an SCA-301 skimmer in there and some liverock with a light over it growing macroalgaes (I know this has minimal impact on nutrient export but it's fun and running the light in reverse of my main light helps stabilize pH levels). I've never worked with acrylic before and I was hoping to add a dedicated fuge area to put beneficial pests/aggressive inverts from the display and other macroalgaes into (while being separated from my skimmer). How difficult would it be to add a new chamber to the sump? The first chamber would be for the skimmer and would be wide enough just for it to fit, then I'd add a new chamber using acrylic (maybe this to keep light out? idk). Then there would be the fuge area.

If this is relatively easy to do, what should I use to accomplish this in terms of acrylic material/adhesive?

419oDVh5gqL._SX466_.jpg

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey SaltwaterScoop, unless you want to totally drain, clean, and then glue in some acrylic - sounds like the easier route would be just to cut some acrylic, or glass, so it is a tight enough fit to create another section. Unless it matters that a tiny bit of water will go around the new section, it will be much easier than draining and cleaning the sump so you can glue in a new piece of acrylic. If you are just interested in separating larger organisms from the rest of the sump (i.e. hermits, the odd banished coral or fish) then a tight, non-glued baffle is the easiest solution.

If you are wanting to actually glue in a new section, ideally you'll need access to a table saw, some edge prep items like sand paper, scraper, (or router ideally), some acrylic solvent, needle applicator bottle. The issue is that you'll need a pretty precise cut to fit the baffle in order to glue it as acrylic normally would be - that can be accomplished through trial and error if you have your own tools, but might be more challenging if you are having home depot or a glass shop cut your acrylic for you.

Third option, and perhaps the easiest, would be to get a container that hangs in your sump (like a specimen container), drill some small holes in it (smaller than the critters you want to keep in there), and call it done.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with ReefEco, i've also hear that there are issues with taking acrylic which has been waterlogged and gluing new pieces to it. I would think that if you're handy enough you could make a basket out of Acrylic that fits around your skimmer, with holes/slots cut into it which has "hooks" on either side to hold it in your sump. This could be any shape [can design it around your skimmer]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back