Adding additional flow to 125 gallon

gmyers0203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a few dead spots on my standard 6 ft 125 gallon with excess build up of detritus. I currently run two MP40s on opposite ends, both up high for added surface agitation. Currently a mostly softie reef with aspirations to have more LPS and SPS.

I'm considering moving one of these to the center back glass and adding a gyre opposite the other on a long side. My plan would be to mount it horizontal near the top but would likely test vertical as well.

Does anyone have a similar set up with the MP40s and gyres? An MP40 on the back glass seems excessive for an 18" width.

Do you think one gyre would be enough?

The tank is an aqueon with the wiers not in the corners.

Thanks in advance!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a few dead spots on my standard 6 ft 125 gallon with excess build up of detritus. I currently run two MP40s on opposite ends, both up high for added surface agitation. Currently a mostly softie reef with aspirations to have more LPS and SPS.

I'm considering moving one of these to the center back glass and adding a gyre opposite the other on a long side. My plan would be to mount it horizontal near the top but would likely test vertical as well.

Does anyone have a similar set up with the MP40s and gyres? An MP40 on the back glass seems excessive for an 18" width.

Do you think one gyre would be enough?

The tank is an aqueon with the wiers not in the corners.

Thanks in advance!

Pretty strange that two MP40s wouldn’t provide enough flow.

I’m a believer in trial and error when it comes to these types of things. Flow patterns are often difficult to replicate from one tank to another because of the various variables that come into play. I’d try a bunch of different placing patterns before buying anything else.

If your result is that you want to add flow then one thing you could try would to be pick up a cheap wave maker and test it in different places. Then, after you’re satisfied with the results of adding another pump, purchase something higher quality and replace the cheap one.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt find a picture of an Aqueon marine tank but are you able to direct you return(s) to help more. You could possibly even add line-loc connectors and random flow generator tips to give more angular coverage, admittedly to the detriment of flow velocity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmyers0203

gmyers0203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just add another MP40.
This had crossed my mind, maybe more so an MP10 or two on the back glass.

Pretty strange that two MP40s wouldn’t provide enough flow.

I’m a believer in trial and error when it comes to these types of things. Flow patterns are often difficult to replicate from one tank to another because of the various variables that come into play. I’d try a bunch of different placing patterns before buying anything else.

If your result is that you want to add flow then one thing you could try would to be pick up a cheap wave maker and test it in different places. Then, after you’re satisfied with the results of adding another pump, purchase something higher quality and replace the cheap one.
Where I find the most issue is in the back right and left corners, adjacent to the wiers in that small space shown in the picture. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the flow through the main portion of the tank.

I agree with what you said though, placement of rock, small differences in pump placement can make all the difference in how one person's tank acts compared to another. Valid point!

I'll have to think through what I have on hand and how I might be able to experiment with them. Thanks for the advice!

I couldnt find a picture of an Aqueon marine tank but are you able to direct you return(s) to help more. You could possibly even add line-loc connectors and random flow generator tips to give more angular coverage, admittedly to the detriment of flow velocity.
Thank you for saying this. I originally plumbed my system to be dual herbie overflows but once the pumps got going I could never get them to equalize so I just opened them all the way up. I do have two emergency drains as a result, but could consider returning these to their original purpose for the return lines. I currently just have the return up and over the back of the tank with a dual nozzle loc-line.

Attachments

• g512310.jpg
    g512310.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 23

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back