Adding bacteria to new tank?

EvanStorzuk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add Seachem stability to my cycling tank? I bought it after my ammonia went to zero, but my nitrites are still around 2-5 ppm. I’m just wondering if there would be any benefit to add it now that my cycle has started.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add Seachem stability to my cycling tank? I bought it after my ammonia went to zero, but my nitrites are still around 2-5 ppm. I’m just wondering if there would be any benefit to add it now that my cycle has started.
You don't need to add any bacteria but adding a quality one can help speed up the process and allow a larger population of nitrifying bacteria to grow sooner. If you do add anything, I'd recommend not relying on Stability; use Biospira or Fritz Turbo Start. If you have time to allow the tank to cycle on its own, then just keep adding a small amount of food or ammonia to feed the bacteria that's already there.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add bacteria at any point during cycle. It will help. however, I would be cautious with products that claim for fresh and saltwater. probably not good and different environments so what is in the bottle? I have used fritz for example for most. doesnt mean you have to use this brand. Some you can add stock same day but not all can do this.

You could also find some live Rock and add in for a few days to week.. make sure they are fairly large pieces. doesnt need long.

OP
OP
E

EvanStorzuk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to add any bacteria but adding a quality one can help speed up the process and allow a larger population of nitrifying bacteria to grow sooner. If you do add anything, I'd recommend not relying on Stability; use Biospira or Fritz Turbo Start. If you have time to allow the tank to cycle on its own, then just keep adding a small amount of food or ammonia to feed the bacteria that's already there.
I have live rock in my tank and used a shrimp for my ammonia. Should I just wait for the bacteria to do its thing? Nitrates are present but nitrites are still about the same level as when the ammonia started to drop.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use seachem stability. You also already have the bacteria in there so no need to add more. Nitrites take longer to process but are harmless to fish in saltwater tanks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottled bacteria products are generally a waste of time, though the unsubstantiated claims sound so good. Your system will be inoculated with plenty of bacteria species every time you add livestock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back