New tank

Fernandop9995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , so I’m a week and a half in my cycling process for my 20 gallon saltwater
I’ve added Mr Fritz turbo start 900 and ammonia reducer and I add bacteria pretty often.
I tested my parameters today and the ammonia and ph look in good hands and the nitrite and nitrates are still high.
Is that just part of the cycle? Should I get some of that product called prime?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Dose some ammonia, if it reads 0 in 24 hours and you have measurable nitrates your tank is cycling. Nitrites are irrelevant in reef aquaria. Do a 25% water change after cycle and then you can add first fish.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , so I’m a week and a half in my cycling process for my 20 gallon saltwater
I’ve added Mr Fritz turbo start 900 and ammonia reducer and I add bacteria pretty often.
I tested my parameters today and the ammonia and ph look in good hands and the nitrite and nitrates are still high.
Is that just part of the cycle? Should I get some of that product called prime?
Just wait, patience is key at this step. I have used Prime before it does work well but do not rush these things. There is no magic instant cycle despite all the claims of various products.

Presence of nitrite and nitrates means cycling has begun, but there is not enough nitrifying bacteria to keep up with the conversion of nitrite to nitrate.

Once it is fully cycled you would expect near zero ammonia. Zero nitrite and some sort of nitrate number. If you have no way of removing nitrate then they will continue to rise and can only be lowered with water changes. Other options would be protein skimming and refugiums alongside water changes.

Don’t waste your money on any more chemicals. The tank is doing what it’s supposed to do. Another week or so should likely put you in a place to consider adding a fish.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ammonia turns into nitrite (no2) after that turns into Nitrates (no3). Do you have anything in your tank? If not you need to feed the bacteria by adding ammonia. Once no2 shows zero do a big water change to lower no3

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use anything to make ammonia less toxic it will prolong cycle I do think.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Dose some ammonia, if it reads 0 in 24 hours and you have measurable nitrates your tank is cycling. Nitrites are irrelevant in reef aquaria. Do a 25% water change after cycle and then you can add first fish.
While nitrite is irrelevant to marine fish, it is helpful in knowing how his tank is cycling and where that process is still lacking. In this case. He needs more bacteria (naturally and not from a bottle) to convert to nitrate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back