Adding Black Tahitian Sand

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Was just wondering if anyone has added Black Sand on top of existing White Sand Bed. Read many things pert to this but wanted to see what other information that is out there

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460578415.880568.jpg

Zoot098

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have not, but I would think eventually the white sand is going to start to work its way up. If your going for total Black I would remove as much white as possible

OP
OP
Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But all that beneficial bacteria that Sand Bed. Just doing some research. Just want the Tank to have a little more pop
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other comments with regards to this subject?? Any and all information encouraged.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a type of sand that is a mix of black and white. It's called Indo-Pacific Black. Did you want to have the white show as well? That might help it blend a bit more with what you already have.

If you just want black, your best bet is to put some new black sand in a container in your tank, and siphon out a small amount of the old when you do. Keep going with that method to build up your biological filter in the new stuff while getting rid of the old.

OP
OP
Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have lots of live rock (at Least 90 lbs. My entire sand bed behind my rock work will not be seen. So really just looking to put this 20 lb black moon sand in saltwater areas in view..
image.jpeg

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white will definitely show through though, so if that wasn't your goal, I'd go with the slow addition of black while removing the existing sand bed.

OP
OP
Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460666317.494493.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. Here's a picture of my Bully Tomato Clown. I removed her and relocated get . She was way too territorial as my Friend Breeds Designer Clowns. I have a Female Black Ice Photon and a male Snowton

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a tomato pair (Heinz and Roma). They had a 30 gallon to themselves. When my 120 gallon decided to spring a leak, I ended up taking them to the LFS so I could keep some of the small fish that were in that tank. There was no way I was going to risk adding anything to that size tank with established/spawing tomatoes! :D

OP
OP
Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a tomato pair (Heinz and Roma). They had a 30 gallon to themselves. When my 120 gallon decided to spring a leak, I ended up taking them to the LFS so I could keep some of the small fish that were in that tank. There was no way I was going to risk adding anything to that size tank with established/spawing tomatoes! :D
Heinz & Roma. Love it . You must be Italian to be that creative.. Lol. Js

OP
OP
Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the sand about 10 years ago. Live was not an option then. Hope yours is better. Let us know.
This is what I will be adding delivery tomorrow
Set off brilliant coloration of tropical marine fish with beautiful, black sand. Use CaribSea Tahitian Moon Reef & Marine Substrate for spectacular "high-definition" aquarium views. Fine, black substrate enhances visual depth and contrast to create the perfect stage for colorful aquarium inhabitants. Inert natural substrate contains no artificial dyes or paints that can chip or flake. Use one to two pounds of substrate per gallon. Also great for use in freshwater aquariums including African Cichlid aquariums. Packed with living, water-purifying bacteria, state of the art clarifier, and a complete water conditioner to streamline aquarium use.

OP
OP
Joseph Pagnotta

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Was just wondering if anyone has added Black Sand on top of existing White Sand Bed. Read many things pert to this but wanted to see what other information that is out there

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460578415.880568.jpg
UPDATE****
So I added a 20 lb bag of caribsea Tahitian Black Moon Sand and I absolutely love it. Tips, add the whole bag in a bucket and rinse and agitate several times. I then cut off the bottom of a gallon milk Container leave cap on, then scoop sand into milk container put container in tank and then open cap. Very little kick up.. I hope this isn't too basic..
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460812347.278992.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460812365.113000.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460812378.447448.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460812434.825594.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back