Adding chaeto after dosing Vibrant?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Vibrant a few weeks ago and it devastated my chaeto ball. How soon after dosing Vibrant is it safe to put some new chaeto in the refugium?

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Vibrant a few weeks ago and it devastated my chaeto ball. How soon after dosing Vibrant is it safe to put some new chaeto in the refugium?

Are you planning to continue to dose the vibrant? If so it will continue to to kill off your chaeto

OP
OP
C

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sworn off Vibrant. I didn’t realize I till too late that it would kill chaeto. Now I’m scrambling to get my nutrients stabilized.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a week then add new cheato! I also used vibrate a lonnnnng time ago, I didn’t like the results on my Reef but it worked well on my FW tank haha

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sucked into buying a bottle of that crap after reading their puff piece here on r2r....never again. Killed my Chaeto and threw everything off in my tank.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a week then add new cheato! I also used vibrate a lonnnnng time ago, I didn’t like the results on my Reef but it worked well on my FW tank haha

OP
OP
C

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sucked into buying a bottle of that crap after reading their puff piece here on r2r....never again. Killed my Chaeto and threw everything off in my tank.

It did get rid of a few patches of GHA that I was wanting gone...

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one uses a bacterial based nutrient control system, it works really well! If you want a bed of macro algae to reduce nutrients, it can be touchy. I use a powerfilter and Vibrant. I have to dose phyto to raise P and I dose nitrates to maintain them at a reasonable level. I actually had to up my phyto additions because P was dropping so low. The only downside is that I don't get the O2 boost and CO2 reduction at night of the algae bed. But I am going to remedy that in the next system by building a huge frag tank, reverse light cycle. Then it's all gravy!

Cre8or30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It killed off all my algae including my Chaeto. But that’s the price ya have to pay. I still ,in two spots, have this short brown hair algae that’s even tough to pull manually so and Vibrant can’t kill it. I’ll just live with it.

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's been roughly 1.5-2 months since dosing vibrant. I finally tried to add new chaeto and after a week it seems to have melted like a freshwater plant. I left it in hoping it will recover, but my last batch of chaeto didnt do this. Any ideas? Is my tank ruined for macro algea? Is there a way to fix this?

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's been roughly 1.5-2 months since dosing vibrant. I finally tried to add new chaeto and after a week it seems to have melted like a freshwater plant. I left it in hoping it will recover, but my last batch of chaeto didnt do this. Any ideas? Is my tank ruined for macro algea? Is there a way to fix this?
When in doubt...water change !

Winstonv93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did get rid of a few patches of GHA that I was wanting gone...
mine as well. the stuff does work. and if it didnt work. maybe the issue was too big for it to work. or what ive noticed is people buying the wrong bottle. they have marine, reef, and freshwater. ive read a lot of people buying the freshwater for a reef and nothing happens.

Back