Adding fish advice/ fish only aquariums

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 16 with 2 clown fish, somewhat young, about a year old.
I want to add a fire shrimp and maybe a yellow clown goby (they get about 1 1/2"), Will this be okay?

I also have a 215g, the only fish are 2 clowns I've had for 8 years, a snail and some hermits. I'm potentially going to add 2 Tangs-a yellow and a yellow eyed Kole, if this will work...I definitely want a diamondback Goby too.
I'd like some smaller schooling fish that won't kill each other off...I tried blue chromis, they were in a 20g quarantine tank for months, I transferred them to the big tank and they were great for a little while until they started killing each other off! Any suggestions?

Looking for suggestions on compatible tank mates for the big tank, nothing difficult...I'd love a starfish though, but I'm not sure if Tangs would bother one? Compatibility charts online seem somewhat useless....
Appreciate any help/advice etc. Thanks!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't generally school much in captivity like they do in the wild and generally space out a lot. The best bet for schooling fish are fish like bluespine cardinals (zoramia leptacanthus) there's possibly other species aswell that others may suggest. Damsels such as the blue sapphire, Talbot, rollands and yellow tail damsels may work as a a school and are much more peaceful than other damsels.
Those 2 species of tangs should work fine in that tank size.
You could try a harem or pair dwarf angels or a pair of bellus or other genicanthus Angels.
Fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses, radiant wrasse etc and if the tank is mature enough, leopard wrasses
Dartfish could work and there's lots of anthias to chose from, dipsars and ignitus anthias would be good peaceful choices but there's many others too.
Fang blennies, Midas blennies and other ecsenius blennies
Leopard Toby puffers are supposed to be a but more peaceful than other toby puffers if you want something different
A group a royal gramma maybe 5 to 6 could work
There's lots of other fish but those would be my suggestions. Hope this helps

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown goby and fire shrimp should work in the 16g.

The tangs mentioned and diamond goby will be fine.

The tangs will ignore a starfish. There are some starfish that may be problematic, others no problem at all, so once you know the species you are considering we can help further.

Zebra a scissortail dartfish are social.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinalfish might school. They would be a good choice as they don't bother anything.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinalfish might school. They would be a good choice as they don't bother anything.
I had Pajama Cardinals a while back, on the advice of the fish store, I bought 6 of them, they killed each other until their were only 2 left, then eventually just one.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Pajama Cardinals a while back, on the advice of the fish store, I bought 6 of them, they killed each other until their were only 2 left, then eventually just one.
That's unusual with pj cardinals, they are generally pretty tolerant of conspecifics. Bangaiis on the other hand have a strong hatred toward each other.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unusual with pj cardinals, they are generally pretty tolerant of conspecifics. Bangaiis on the other hand have a strong hatred toward each other.

I got some mixed opinions on the cardinals. I had one bangaii, he was very cool, never bothered anyone, but I didn't have more than the one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back