Adding frag tank to existing sump/tank

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
291
Reaction score
9
Location
Stephens City, VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
I need your advice here. I currently have a Marineland 18" cube (25 gal), plumbed into a 16" x 18" sump w/media basket and refugium. I just bought a small acrylic frag tank (24L x 15W x 9H) and I want to replumb the system. Basicly, I want the main tank to drain into the frag tank then down to the sump --> back to the main tank.
I'll handle circulation via MP10s or Korillas. But straight to the point. The frag tank will be a new addition to this set-up. I am only planning on keeping eggcrate as a frag holder and of course (eventually) frags. How long do you think I should wait before adding frags to that new tank?

Do Zoas/Palys really add to the bio load? My guess is (not much if any). So after a few days for the "newness" of all the acrylic to wear off, and a significant water change, would it be safe to start introducing frags? I have lots (20+) mini colonies that I would like to transfer ASAP.

Sorry long story for a rather short question.:squigglemouth:
 
An interesting question. I hadn't given it much thought. I just did something nearly identical in concept. I had a well established 24" cube that I plumbed in a brand new 12" acrylic cube into. (So they all shared the same body of water.) I added frags (Zoanthids) the next day w/ no ill effects. I can't really see why it would be an issue, but am all ears if someone else does!

HTH!
 
Hopefully, our ears will hear something to ponder on. Maybe it was a dumb question judging by the responses. Don't know. What I can say and I think we can all relate to, is whenever we add new acrylic sumps, protien skimmer, media reactors, frag tanks, etc... to an existing system, there is a deffinite "break-in" period. I assume that the oils, residues and/or chemicals on the acrylic sheet itself has to breakdown or disolve off, before those pieces act like their glass equivillants. So, I'm sill left with the question as to, how much do I want to risk? I can move a frag or two, but a few days really isn't enough time to judge anything. Heck, just the process of moving Zoas, acclimating them causes enough stress for them to close up for a day or two.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new