Adding in a calcium reactor

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by thejoshdavis, Jul 8, 2014.

1. thejoshdavis

thejoshdavis Valuable Member MTRCMember

I was curious to see how is currently running a calcium reactor and the pros and cons of using it. I would hope you're using it on a controller. I would love to see how you have that programmed.

Tags:

2. poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1 Valuable Member

That would all depend on your demand,I wouls say go to GEO's web site and read their set up instructions as they are the best around in ease of understanding how to dail one in. If you need more help you can call me K
    Bill

3. pickupman66

pickupman66 Valuable Member MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Josh, I enjoyed the one I had on my 180. once I had it dialed in, it was pretty reliable for dosing the calcium and the alk. I am going to try manually doing mine this time on the 66, but am not opposed to adding a small one when the time comes.

4. iiluisii

iiluisii Valuable Member MTRCMember

I'm staying away from anything that rely in a controller or that req regular adjustment for my new build we are the main factor of a tank failure I'm going old school for my new one using a kalk dripper also as my top off it going to take some work daily but I'm planning to drip what my tank evaporates daily be when the corals get bigger then ill manually dose 2 part.

5. pickupman66

pickupman66 Valuable Member MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Wow Luis.... manual drip. My old school ato is gravityfed with float valve. Very safe and noncontrols necessary. Set your top off container on your sump.

I feel controllers are ahuge benefit. Love the way I can time my lights and other functions.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. iiluisii

Yea man going the dripper route I thinks is more stable and accurate than running kalk with an ATO.

7. schooleyosis

schooleyosis Valuable Member MTRCMember

This was a topic that I was hoping would be covered in great detail at one of our upcoming meetings as I am very interested in setting up one as well.

8. ToXIc

ToXIc Valuable Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember

i'm still tuning my new setup but here's what i'm currently running

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If pH2 > 7.10 Then ON
    If pH2 < 7.00 Then OFF
    If pH > 8.40 Then OFF

9. Dowtish

Dowtish Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember

Josh-

my only concern with you setting one up is the constant change of demand depending on what you have in stock. I would be sending PM's to some vendors on here to pick their brain as to how they keep stability in an ever changing amount of inventory.

10. iiluisii

Josh if you have a grow out tank I think is good to use a reactor but for a tank that constantly gets colonies and frag in and out I would just do water changes to keep up.

11. thejoshdavis

thejoshdavis Valuable Member MTRCMember

Both valid points and my primary concern. Keeping up with regular water changes in the current tank seems to have the parameters dialed in. The grow out tray is sill a ways away but will be specifically for that. Initial frags and then healing out. The plan for the tray would be basketball size colonies or larger and harvesting those every 3-6 months. That's where the CaRX may work best. As of right now I have it hooked up, but not running.

12. SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef Valuable Member

This won't do much for u. IME, The media inside the reactor won't start melting until it gets around 6.8 or less. I run my program similar, but I do
    Ph2>6.4 on
    Ph2<6.3 off.

My ph stays very stable at 6.5. Once u dial it in, the co2 solenoid shouldn't be turning on/off hardly at all. My co2 solenoid never shuts off, unless the feed to the reactor somehow stopped, that's pretty much all I need to controller for

13. NeveSSL

NeveSSL Valuable Member MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

What is your last statement for? If anything, wouldn't the CaRX drive your pH down?

Brandon

14. SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef Valuable Member

Yes you are correct. I'm thinking that was a typo or maybe he has it setup wrong.
    Should be something like this:

If ph < 7.6 then CalRx off

Or something like that

15. Tanaka

Tanaka New Member

Hi guys I have a question, I’m starting to setup a calcium reactor for the first time. my question is how much Co2 psi should I start.
    Thanks in advance

16. Tanaka

Tanaka New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted