Adding in a calcium reactor

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious to see how is currently running a calcium reactor and the pros and cons of using it. I would hope you're using it on a controller. I would love to see how you have that programmed.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious to see how is currently running a calcium reactor and the pros and cons of using it. I would hope you're using it on a controller. I would love to see how you have that programmed.
That would all depend on your demand,I wouls say go to GEO's web site and read their set up instructions as they are the best around in ease of understanding how to dail one in. If you need more help you can call me K
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, I enjoyed the one I had on my 180. once I had it dialed in, it was pretty reliable for dosing the calcium and the alk. I am going to try manually doing mine this time on the 66, but am not opposed to adding a small one when the time comes.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm staying away from anything that rely in a controller or that req regular adjustment for my new build we are the main factor of a tank failure I'm going old school for my new one using a kalk dripper also as my top off it going to take some work daily but I'm planning to drip what my tank evaporates daily be when the corals get bigger then ill manually dose 2 part.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Luis.... manual drip. My old school ato is gravityfed with float valve. Very safe and noncontrols necessary. Set your top off container on your sump.

I feel controllers are ahuge benefit. Love the way I can time my lights and other functions.

Last edited:

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Luis.... manual drip. My old school ato is gravityfed with float valve. Very safe and noncontrols necessary. Set your top off container on your sump.

I feel controllers are ahuge benefit. Love the way I can time my lights and other functions.

Yea man going the dripper route I thinks is more stable and accurate than running kalk with an ATO.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a topic that I was hoping would be covered in great detail at one of our upcoming meetings as I am very interested in setting up one as well.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i'm still tuning my new setup but here's what i'm currently running

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If pH2 > 7.10 Then ON
If pH2 < 7.00 Then OFF
If pH > 8.40 Then OFF

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh-

my only concern with you setting one up is the constant change of demand depending on what you have in stock. I would be sending PM's to some vendors on here to pick their brain as to how they keep stability in an ever changing amount of inventory.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh if you have a grow out tank I think is good to use a reactor but for a tank that constantly gets colonies and frag in and out I would just do water changes to keep up.

OP
OP
thejoshdavis

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh-

my only concern with you setting one up is the constant change of demand depending on what you have in stock. I would be sending PM's to some vendors on here to pick their brain as to how they keep stability in an ever changing amount of inventory.

Josh if you have a grow out tank I think is good to use a reactor but for a tank that constantly gets colonies and frag in and out I would just do water changes to keep up.

Both valid points and my primary concern. Keeping up with regular water changes in the current tank seems to have the parameters dialed in. The grow out tray is sill a ways away but will be specifically for that. Initial frags and then healing out. The plan for the tray would be basketball size colonies or larger and harvesting those every 3-6 months. That's where the CaRX may work best. As of right now I have it hooked up, but not running.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If pH2 > 7.10 Then ON
If pH2 < 7.00 Then OFF
If pH > 8.40 Then OFF

This won't do much for u. IME, The media inside the reactor won't start melting until it gets around 6.8 or less. I run my program similar, but I do
Ph2>6.4 on
Ph2<6.3 off.

My ph stays very stable at 6.5. Once u dial it in, the co2 solenoid shouldn't be turning on/off hardly at all. My co2 solenoid never shuts off, unless the feed to the reactor somehow stopped, that's pretty much all I need to controller for

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If pH2 > 7.10 Then ON
If pH2 < 7.00 Then OFF
If pH > 8.40 Then OFF

What is your last statement for? If anything, wouldn't the CaRX drive your pH down?

Brandon

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your last statement for? If anything, wouldn't the CaRX drive your pH down?

Brandon

Yes you are correct. I'm thinking that was a typo or maybe he has it setup wrong.
Should be something like this:

If ph < 7.6 then CalRx off

Or something like that

Tanaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I have a question, I’m starting to setup a calcium reactor for the first time. my question is how much Co2 psi should I start.
Thanks in advance

Back