Adding leveling feet to steel stand?

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking a purchasing a used 72" tank that is on a 2x2 tubular steel stand. The only thing holding me back is the stand does not have leveling feet and has always been leveled with shims, but in my house I have found leveling feet to be a huge help with my 4,000 year old house that is unlevel everywhere lol.

is it possible to have leveling feet added to a 2x2 tubular steel stand or is that not doable at this stage? I am not overly familar with stands like this.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, if the tubes are thick walled and you're handy with a welder I'd say go for it. If not then welding the structure could cause a fail point in the stand and could cause major destruction to the tank and your 4000 year old floor lol. Drilling into the tubed could also cause a major fail point in the stand as well so idk if I'd go for it. Now you could make your own wooden stand with leveling feet and that may be the best rout imo

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you! not what I was hoping to hear, but if there's a concern then it's probably not the set up for me since I already have enough anxiety haha. I appreciate that!

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no problem, I used to be ndt certified and worked on ski lifts inspecting welds and forged pieces. I'd say of it's over 150 gallons or so I'd probably pass on the stand part and build my own if the price was right on the tank

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it's actually right around 150g since it's not a tall tank 20" lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back