Adding live rock and/or reef cleaner pack to cycling tank okay?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, we build skip cycle reefs all the time. when you add live rock, specifically from a pet store marked as live and from underwater, it doesn't mini cycle it just transfer cycles. also, if you've used bottle bac your current cycle is likely done as well, they charge for that stuff because it works so fast.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, we build skip cycle reefs all the time. when you add live rock, specifically from a pet store marked as live and from underwater, it doesn't mini cycle it just transfer cycles. also, if you've used bottle bac your current cycle is likely done as well, they charge for that stuff because it works so fast.
Wow! I never knew that adding live rock instantly transfers a cycle. When I had freshwater aquariums, I had to wait weeks before adding fish.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts need things to eat and are more sensitive to changing parameters than fish are. I would wait on the cleaners.

Live rock does not transfer a cycle, but if it is really alive then it has bacteria, film algae or other things on it to process most fish waste and jump start the tank down the path of being cycled. Those things can populate the rest of the tank and move the cycle forward pretty quickly. You still need to stock smartly, be patient and not overfeed since your tank is still not dynamic enough to handle anything. Add all of the live rock that you want if it is truly live.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the inverts, wait until you get some film algae and things need to be cleaned. Not only will this give your cleaner pack some food, the photosynthetic organisms give the pH a bump and can help keep it stable.

When you are ready for inverts, there are places where you can order direct from the divers, save money and get better quality critters that have not been shipped as much. Just post a topic in the general section when you are ready and you can get suggestions like ReefTopia, ReefCleaners, KP Aquatics and many more. LiveAquaria is probably fine too, but I would have no idea.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the inverts, wait until you get some film algae and things need to be cleaned. Not only will this give your cleaner pack some food, the photosynthetic organisms give the pH a bump and can help keep it stable.

When you are ready for inverts, there are places where you can order direct from the divers, save money and get better quality critters that have not been shipped as much. Just post a topic in the general section when you are ready and you can get suggestions like ReefTopia, ReefCleaners, KP Aquatics and many more. LiveAquaria is probably fine too, but I would have no idea.
Could you add inverts and clean up crew if you planned to feed them while some food began to grow? You notice I said “some food”. I feel the CUC never gets enough food from the aquarium alone unless it is a mess.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is part of it, but pH swings can be greater in new tanks without photosynthetic things, silicates can fluctuate and other parameters. Nitrite toxicity can be a problem for most inverts (as I have read) as can spiking nitrates, even if temporary. There are probably other parameters I am forgetting that could be a problem too in the early days of a tank. Just seems better to wait until things stabilize a bit and have one less thing to worry about.

Yes, CUC needs to be fed in any tank. Flakes and extra food is good for this, but most snails and stuff can live off of algae alone. In a new tank, this extra food could add to rot as well since inverts are harder to feed efficiently as fish.

I am not saying that it is impossible, just if a normal tank start is hard enough, inverts are probably harder than fish for most folks. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could you add inverts and clean up crew if you planned to feed them while some food began to grow? You notice I said “some food”. I feel the CUC never gets enough food from the aquarium alone unless it is a mess.
As JDA mentioned, it speeds up cycle and has pores with bacteria culture beneficial to cycle time and process. I would assure ammonia and nitrate remain steady a few days Before adding inverts but you can supplement them with various foods such as algae wafers

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for so many posts but you have no idea where the inverts were and if they are already starved. This is another reason that I like to order from the divers and not have some snails that have been in clean tanks at a wholesaler for a few weeks in between shipping stops. If the CUC is already been starved a bit, then even a week in a new/clean tank might be enough to finish them off. You can offer nori and other algae flakes and stuff, but there is no guarantee that they will find them in time.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back