Cycling fishless - week 3-4 and believe I am on the right track looking for confirmation or condemnation

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have had rocks in water for 2 weeks but only began cycling per se in last 3 weeks and wanted to share my readings .
Background info I have used ammonia and Dr Tims and boosted ammonia when dropped under 1ppm.

Salinity 1.026
PH 8.2
temp 80f
ammonia .5
nitrite 1
nitrate 10
cal 520
hard 150

Due to the low ammonia I added a bit more but I am concerned about nitrite and nitrate and thinking I should stop using ammonia

As this my first tank I am unsure of everything ...
any thoughts or comments appreciate

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. I would test ammonia oncr you add and see how long it takes for it to turn to nitrate.

Did you test for sudden spikes throughout the process or you were just waiting it out?

Are you cycling with display lights on or off?

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing 2-3 days apart figuring this could take 3 months but reading seem to say sooner .ammonia at 3ppm drops to 1pmm in that time frame
Never saw any really noticeable spikes
lights on tank are off no filters, but does get indirect light from basement window and basement light

btw ty for the reply I am following a realm of literature which although helpful lacks the strict timelines I believe we all would like ;-)

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, I get it ive been there.

Yea I think the cycle could be over. Ammonia should be getting to 0.

Dont like the sound of that indirect light. I use to get nuisance algae because of it.

Do you have a sump? Have you thought about adding copepods? That can help keep nuisance algae and bacteria at bay if you add and let them settle in.

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I do have a sump, nothing in it but broken coral pieces was waiting till I cycle was going to get copepods and cheato
again I thank you for the input from what I am hearing I guess I am doing ok and I just need to wait and cut back on the ammonia
This is strictly a coral tank and I know I was advised not add them till the cycling is done

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back