Am I on track with cycling my tank?

Cade1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 8 of my cycle, 26 gallon Red Sea AIO I dosed ammonia to 2ppm as directed and used bottled bacteria and live sand, currently I am showing no ammonia with 3 ppm nitrite and 50 ppm nitrate (since nitrite is high the nitrate reading is probably off). Are my nitrites too high they have been reading this for 4 days. I know it’s a waiting game but I want to make sure my cycle is going smooth. Should I redose ammonia or wait for the nitrite to come down?

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any thing but rock / live rock and let it cycle for 3 to 4 weeks no lights at all you can even go longer than that... But take your time this hobby can last years and years... rushing brings more error than trials... so please plan and take your time... all your level ammonia ect.... will rise and fall

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus your only 8 days on a cycle... some people put damsels or clowns or guppies in to rush the cycle because of feeding it helps... but do know the ugly phase will come you can't stop it bacteria has to balance itself out algea hair algae dinos or cyano all will show up in time.... WELCOME

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am on day 8 of my cycle, 26 gallon Red Sea AIO I dosed ammonia to 2ppm as directed and used bottled bacteria and live sand, currently I am showing no ammonia with 3 ppm nitrite and 50 ppm nitrate (since nitrite is high the nitrate reading is probably off). Are my nitrites too high they have been reading this for 4 days. I know it’s a waiting game but I want to make sure my cycle is going smooth. Should I redose ammonia or wait for the nitrite to come down?
You should have gotten instructions from whichever person you received your protocol from. I would follow those - and ask those people. In general - your cycle seems to be progressing - you shouldn't be putting anything else in the tank. You could also add a bacterial product like Fritz 9000 - and add fish the same day

OP
OP
C

Cade1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the reply’s, I’m in no rush to stock the tank I just wanted to make sure my cycle was on track and the nitrites weren’t too high. I know slow and steady wins the race here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back