Adding Live Sand to established tank

Bfgjose

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2024
Messages
36
Reaction score
15
Location
Escondido
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Looking for some guidance. My mixed reef 32g Biocube is 6 months established. Over the course of maintenance I've siphoned some of the sand during water changes. Can I just add a cup or two of caribsea live sand or do I need to do something first?

TIA
 
You can certainly add it but it will cycle in your tank. So go slow and monitor parameters to prevent trouble.
 
Personally, I would rinse it first. You dont really know what is in "live sand" or if it really is still alive or dead. Clean sand added slowly shouldnt upset the tank.
 
Agreed with rinsing till clear first. You may "lose" whatever is live in it. But the amount of bio in it is already miniscule.
I recommend using a piece of pvc to drop the sand exactly where you want it. I.e. cut a length of pvc where one end sits above the water level the other end is above the sand bed. Pour into end above the water level. This allows the sand to go EXACTLY where you want it and decreases immediate cloudiness.
 
Agreed with rinsing till clear first. You may "lose" whatever is live in it. But the amount of bio in it is already miniscule.
I recommend using a piece of pvc to drop the sand exactly where you want it. I.e. cut a length of pvc where one end sits above the water level the other end is above the sand bed. Pour into end above the water level. This allows the sand to go EXACTLY where you want it and decreases immediate cloudiness.
Veteran suggestion!
 
Hello

Looking for some guidance. My mixed reef 32g Biocube is 6 months established. Over the course of maintenance I've siphoned some of the sand during water changes. Can I just add a cup or two of caribsea live sand or do I need to do something first?

TIA
YES 100% fine. try to add it to the bottom and avoid clouds :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new