Adding more flow to my 5 x 2 x 2 - Help me choose!

Punchanello

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2017
Messages
611
Reaction score
671
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, here's my tank. Pic is a few months old) and there has been growth and additions since. I am in the process of removing the sand. It's a 5x2x2 ft which will be 90% sps.

flow.jpg


I have 2 x 6105s but I am starting to suspect I am not getting enough flow, mostly because of how the scape is put together. The top left hand shelf is growing out and not a lot of flow is passing beyond it from the left 6105. I am also not sure I am getting a lot of flow on the front lower shelves either which are also filling up.

I am considering two addition pumps lower down in the tank and towards the front to service those two shelves.

I'm not sure if I should get another two 6105s or if this would be overkill or if I only really need two 6905s. The flow rating seems right but I'm concerned they are undersized. The third left field option for me is the stream 3 but I'm not sure if it could work with my current arrangement. Possible I could use it to generate a wave motion and get the 6105s to provide the turbulence?

Grateful for any and all opinions (@rvitko ?). Want to stick with Tunze because I have a Smartcontroller and love them.
 
Last edited:
Is this going to be an SPS tank? Or something else?
If SPS, you almost can't have two much flow.. (yes, you CAN, but..)
Not being familiar with the Tunze numbers, I would say as many, as big, as you can... Especially if you have the controller..
 
As much flow as you think, then add 40% more...
As an example, my 8' SPS tank, I have (2) MP60's at 90% (over 6k GPH ea.) And (2) MP40's at 100%. Add this to the return, and your think I'd be fine... I need more.. the tank still has areas where the corals are shaded from flow because of growth...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new